Nvidia Mobile G-Sync Tested on Origin Eon 17" Gaming Laptop

Rick

Staff

If you’ve ever witnessed variable refresh rate (VRR) technologies like G-Sync and FreeSync, then you likely know VRR one of the most significant gaming improvements in recent times. G-Sync has been slowly creeping into desktop displays since 2014, but now the technology has finally gone mobile. With our tricked out Origin EON17-X gaming notebook, we’ll be exploring Nvidia’s Mobile G-Sync and how it translates to gaming on the go.

G-Sync wants to give gamers the best of both worlds: no tearing, no stuttering and the smoothest most even gameplay possible. Overall, G-Sync delivers. It does this by dynamically adjusting the display’s refresh rate to match the GPU’s frame rendering. G-Sync is a hardware solution that requires a compatible display and GPU (GeForce GTX 650 or newer).

Mobile G-Sync works pretty much the same, but gone is the need for a factory-installed display module. Driven by industry-standard LVDS and eDP connections, notebook display panels share a unique relationship with their host GPU. Manufacturers are able to implement G-Sync with no additional hardware. For this reason, it was long speculated that G-Sync would make it to notebooks so the real question was when. Well, now it’s here.

Read the complete article.

I've seen G Sync in action and it works pretty well but I'm not prepared to pay Nvidia's extortionist mark up for it. VVR will be mainstream soon enough, I can wait.

I have the same opinion on the matter. I may even consider Freesync over gsync for that very reason if the stars align.
G Sync & Free Sync are very nice but the tech is still young and the R&D, time, personnel costs etc. still needs to be amortized. So we let the early adopters overpay for it first, then when the time is right, sensible blokes like us swoop in and scoop it up for peanuts. In the (near) future you'll probably be able to buy some cheap Chinese brand office screen with it built in at hardly any extra cost.
From what I've recently read it shouldn't come as a surprise if G Sync starts going the way of the dinosaur quite soon but it'll all just rumors still.

Last edited:
Back