Nvidia or Ati ????? What to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to b upgrading my video card and am wondering the opinion of the computer community. I currently own a ati 9500 (Which i'm quite happy with) but it's time to upgrade. I'm looking at an Albatron 6800GT 256mg 8xagp of an Ati X800 256mg 8X agp. Which do u think is better bang for buck considering the're around the same price. I know the Albatron has more pixel pipelines. 12 vs 16.

Cheers

It all comes down to the performance and i for one like the 6800 GT.

then again the criteria changes with people and u can do as MrGaribaldi says check the sites suggested and finally it is ur own decision that counts.

all the best

I would suggest TomsHardware.com They review cards and can help you a lot. For my new comp I was open to either brand, and hadn't been up to speed of GFX cards in forever (since geforce3)... I read there reviews and found out that either brand's products are very similar. The x700 pro isn't much different than a geforce6600, but I decided on a geforce 6600gt, besides the x800s and 6800s it was the best in their tests, and for a LOT less money you get MAYBE 5 less FPS than the top of the line.

And I'd suggest not following Tom's advices too closely without checking with other sites...
Granted, I've not kept myself abreast lately, but they've had some pretty strange results earlier which were out of sync with what everyone else saw...
I'm not saying they're bought by nvidia, but you should compare their results with other sites.

ExtremeTech is one of the better unbiased sites I know, which does shoot-outs. The best site I'll have to say is Beyond3D, but they don't do shoot-outs and their reviews can be on the very technical side... (But you learn a lot!) The site is unbiased, but the forum has a tendency to prefer ATI...

Go With NVIDIA, they're AMERICAN

ATI is a Canadian company; better to promote the health of the American economy, I say. I also happen to live in the US, so I'm biased.

USA, the greatest nation on God's green earth!

I was faced with the same decision a few months back and i will save you the trouble for looking all over.

From those two cards that you posted above the best card and the best bang for the buck will be the 6800 GT it will outperform the x800 or the x800 pro almost all the time in all bench marks. The pipeline difference between the two is quite significant and it severly cripples the x800. I am not being biased becuase if you check benchmarks and scores you will see that reflected on there.

There is however another x800 version which is the XL version that has 16 pipelines and is cheaper than the 6800 GT and almost performs the same. I do believe as of press time they have an agp 8x version out though it is more expensive than the PCI express version by $50. If thrown into your video card pool this would be the best bang for the buck card between all above.

Oh by the way 6600GT is a good card and really performs well but i dont know about it providing 5 less fps than any top of the line card that dmlow suggests. There is a significant performance difference between the 6600GT and 6800GT and this is even more evident once you start reaching higher screen resolutions.

Hope this helps you make your decision btw i have a 6800 GT and i am very pleased with it all games run super smooth and there are no driver issues. I practically play every game on the highest settings. :wave:

I'm just citing benchmarks from unreal tourn., doom3, and some vietnam game that i saw... all at max quality and very high res... the x800/6800gt got around 117-120 and the 6600gt got around 110-112ish... now granted some games it is more pronounced, the human eye cannot see the difference once you get above 90 (if i remember correctly) or so. I was able to a get a new 6600gt for $160, but the cheapest I saw the others was at least $100 more. Not worth the money IMO.

ATI is better!!

Sorry but it don't matter where a video card is made ATI is all better than NVIDIA......:) :grinthumb

The new Xpress200 chips from ATI letting you do the same thing as nVidia's SLI called Crossfire I think and it out perfomes nVidia... if i read correctly.

I'd go with ATI or another company that makes graphics cards out of ATI's chips.

Feed the Canadian economy.

dmlow said:
I'm just citing benchmarks from unreal tourn., doom3, and some vietnam game that i saw... all at max quality and very high res... the x800/6800gt got around 117-120 and the 6600gt got around 110-112ish... now granted some games it is more pronounced, the human eye cannot see the difference once you get above 90 (if i remember correctly) or so. I was able to a get a new 6600gt for $160, but the cheapest I saw the others was at least $100 more. Not worth the money IMO.

Your opinion and i respect that but the numbers you quote above are from unreal tornament which you are rite about but in most other modern day games the 6800 GT gives a performance equal to or better than two 6600GTs in SLI and roughly twice the performance of one 6600 GT. DOnt get me wrong the 6600GT is definately a good bang for the buck card and i have recommended it to many people looking for the best video card on a budget but a performance of a $350- $400 card it is not.

compguy said:
Sorry but it don't matter where a video card is made ATI is all better than NVIDIA......:)

I agree with the fact that it doesnt matter where a video card is made but the other stuff is incorrect. Rite now Nvidia is doing really good with its mainstream market segment with the 6600 GTs pretty much dominating ATI 's X700s and the 6800 GT had their respective market segment from the x800 pro till ATI just recently released their X800 XL video card.

No doubt that the best performing and highest performing card belongs to ATI with their x850 xt pe but this card was not an option on the post and the question asked.

jesteraver said:
The new Xpress200 chips from ATI letting you do the same thing as nVidia's SLI called Crossfire I think and it out perfomes nVidia... if i read correctly.

I'd go with ATI or another company that makes graphics cards out of ATI's chips.

Feed the Canadian economy.

The crossfire is ATI's answer to the SLI but there are not much details known. According to benchmarks or scores released by ATI they do outperform nvidia's ultras in SLI but they did not release any drivers or detailed information and there is some speculation about it i personally think it will beat the nvidia in sli becuase their x850 cards are really good performers.

But if you are willing to spend $550+ on each card and then get a new motherboard to support the technology i dont think you need to worry about any performance issues.

***Oh by the way something i forgot to add to my previous post is that a 6800 GT can easily be overclocked by using cool bits to ultra speeds on stock cooling. And will exceed ultra speeds easily provided the cooling is sufficient since the only thing that is different between the 6800GT and ultra is the clock speed and the yield. *****

compguy said:
Actually the Ati Radeon x850 xt has the winning advantage rite know.... :grinthumb

Very insightful but did you read any of the previous posts before you put ur two cents in.

Lol

BringinHeat said:
Very insightful but did you read any of the previous posts before you put ur two cents in.

Thanks for the laugh right before I leave work :haha: :haha:

ATI had "bad" drivers years ago, but now this is not the case.

Nvidia and ATI usually perform about the same. It all depends on other thing such as the application you are running, your system spec's, graphic settings. Generally, ATI is known for beating Nvidia by a small amount "more" of the time, at this time. NV was ahead at one time. In the future, who knows.

It mainly depends on things other than what can be answered by a question such as "Should I choose this NV card or this ATI card?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back