Nvidia Overheating? Help!

By theasusboy
Nov 30, 2007
  1. (If I sound kind of dumb, thats because I am a newbie)
    I have a Nvidia 8600 GT Eagle 512 mb
    (the rest of the components are an Intel core 2 duo 2.66GHZ E6700, 5 fans on the case, 650Watt Power supply, Asus DW5 DH deluxe motherboard, 2 GB ram)

On average the temperatures on the card are around 57-56 C. When I run ATI tool (when I run the 3D view) the temperatures skyrocket, sometimes to more than 85 C (once it reached 90. THe strange thing is is that the card is not overclocked, and this happens when I just render the cube in ATITOOL (the 3D view). All the other components stay below 60. The worrying thing is that as soon as I reach above 85 C the screen begins to flicker and artifacts appear, so I ahve to switch off ATITOOL. It usually takes about 30 sec.

Is this normal (I have a fan installed on the GPU, running at 100%).
  2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

I think ATI is using the cards full potential, making it heat up, I use ati tool as well. Did something similar on my card, all in all, if nothing else is wrong, leave ati tool alone.
  3. theasusboy

theasusboy TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks a lot
    I'll just leave it alone, you see it was kind of scary since if i left it on for too long artifacts appeared all over the screen!
  4. theasusboy

I still have the problem. When i run Black & White 2 at the highest settings the temperatures go up above 93 C. When this happens after a few minutes the screen begins to have artifacts and lines, as if you have bad reception on a TV and then it shuts down. If i switch on the computer immediately after this the picture is still jittery and the jitteriness slowly fades away
  5. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

Don't run these things that get it so hot.
  6. theasusboy

I am not running these things, they are just games and this should work no matter what. Anyway the game works perfectly until the compu7ter shuts down. So insted of sayng dont run this give me an anser
  7. you use a 286

you use a 286 TS Rookie Posts: 63

you may need a new fan system
  8. you use a 286

you use a 286 TS Rookie Posts: 63

you may be using too much hardware, causing it to overheat
  9. nicholas_t

nicholas_t TS Rookie

I havev just put an E6600 together and had the same problem with overheating... NEVER a 90°c though ! ! ! My high was 70°c and anything over 60°c isn't good for that Duo.. If you got your Box as a bare bones system you might want to check the Cooling Paste between the Processor and the fan, I have heard that Intel uses three thin strips, Clean up that crap and get some good Quality Stuff like Quick Silver ! It might cost a bit more.. Yeah almost double but it does have the silver that trantsfers the heat to the fan. If so you might end up dropping the temp at least 20°c. Make sure you get the Fan & the Processor clean before applying the new Paste, ya never can tell they might not mix... It's worth a try Ya think ...

10. theasusboy

wait a sec, I am talking about the GPU, not the CPU, sorry if i did not make it clear. So for the final time I would like to ask, is 95C high for a 8600?
  11. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 710

Yes it is.
    Ati artifact scanning tool is a stress test to see how your card holds-up under extreme load. I use it only to benchmark my temps to monitor my system cooling. Just an example: compare it to playing Crysis for a while on your system.
    Improve you system cooling if an issue for you
    -adjust gpu fanspeed
    -improve air-flow in your case
    -add case fans
    -use an aftermarket cooler on your card
    -use speedfan, RivaTuner or another program to control fans
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.