Nvidia prepping GeForce 450, 440, 430 for June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Nvidia reportedly plans to launch less powerful -- and inherently more affordable -- DirectX 11 graphics cards over the summer. A few months after the release of its GF100-based GeForce GTX 480 and 470, the company will ship entry-level and mainstream Fermi iterations branded 450, 440 and 430.

Models built with the new GF104 architecture are expected to have less horsepower but with features on par with their higher-end counterparts. Rumored specs include 256 shader cores, 64 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and a 256-bit memory bus. The graphics core is said to be destined for use in three cards, but no other details are available.

The GTS 450 should be a touch faster than the HD 5830, but its price will probably reflect that edge, and it's expected to cost between €200 and €230. The GTS 400 will supposedly outperform the HD 5770, and cost around €160 to €180. Meanwhile, GTS 430 will carry 192 shader cores, 48 TMUs, 24 ROPs, and a 192-bit memory bus, should match the HD 5770, and will run between €130 and €150.

Other cards based on GF106 and GF108 cores should follow, with the former selling for €60 to €100, depending on the SKU, and the latter for €30 to €40.

Permalink to story.

Pretty aggressive marketing for a card that isn't even out yet. Wonder what will happen if the GTX 470 and 480 turn out to be duds?

TomSEA said:
Pretty aggressive marketing for a card that isn't even out yet. Wonder what will happen if the GTX 470 and 480 turn out to be duds?

If true I reckon they'll probably still carry on making graphics cards but probably to the lower cheaper section and ati will rain with the most expensive graphics cards for a few years.

Guest said:
Duds... seriously?! lol

If they come into the market this late with only marginal performance improvements over ATi competition and consume more power... I'll definitely classify them as duds.

Waiting for the actual benchmarks to see how they fare before I pass judgment though. Maybe their performance will surpass the underwhelming estimates being thrown out pre-launch.

What do you consider marginal? I feel that at least 10% greater performance would be enough to be considered viable given their late release and beyond 10% would be a return to dominance.

Looks like the red team vs the green delayers here. Nvidia better be faster than ati 5900 series cards since delaying well over a half a year now! Computer terms in 6 months time that's newer technology that they should have in this time frame. And if there cards don't perform well as the 5900 series? It's looks like the green customers might join the red team after all, so we'll half to wait and see.

I think the GTS440 and the GTS430 is going to give Nvidia to do some rebranding again. 192 shader cores for the GTS430 sounds so similar to the original gtx 260. Of course, this time it might not be direct rebranding because the GTS 400 series will have DDR5 (I think???????). I don't know. The article did state that these cards will use the GF104 architecture, but you never know with Nvidia. I am just speculating, possibly contradicting the truth.

I can see the GTS 440 as a rebranded GTX280 or GTX 275, because it is supposed to beat the HD 5830 which is about on par with the HD 4890.
I can also see the GTS 440 as the GTX 260 216 core, because it is supposed to outperform the HD 5770 which was a little behind the HD 4870. And the original GTX 260 could be rebranded as the GTS 430 which is suppose to be on par with the HD 5770.

I bet Nvidia sees this rebranding potential.

It is also important to note the "S" after the GT. It could mean two things. 1) the part is mainstream just like the GTS 250 was mainstream while the GTX 2XX were upper mainstream or enthusiast parts. 2) the card is rebranded like the GTS 250 which is a rebranded 9800GTX+ which really is a rebranded ... etc.

I guess it is good that Nvidia is going to finally start competing with ATI in the mainstream ($100-200) market.

If they arrive in June that's pretty good, IMO. Not so far after the high end card. I guess since they're smaller dies they have higher yield, so weren't postponed as much as the high ends. Looking forward to them. I think some competition on the market will be good.

Guest said:
Looks like the red team vs the green delayers here. Nvidia better be faster than ati 5900 series cards since delaying well over a half a year now! Computer terms in 6 months time that's newer technology that they should have in this time frame. And if there cards don't perform well as the 5900 series? It's looks like the green customers might join the red team after all, so we'll half to wait and see.

HAHA!!! i know a few on the "green-team" and i bet u my hard earned money that they would rather chew off a few limbs then join the red devils, personaly im not really just on one side here, however i did enjoy chearing for ATI over the last couple of years for a few reassons....

1: even when they didnt have the fastest cards, they still played there role perfectly, providing some very bang for the buck products, also benefitting the prices on the Nvidia cards, so that was a win/win

2: and i luv the ability to run Crossfire despite u dont have the very exact same cards, which is also good for my kinda wallet, doesnt feel quite THAT raped if i wanna "upgrade" with a top card allready installed.

3: i like the driver support they provide, ofc forgetting about the 90`s which was quite the opposite.

But for me, a 10% marginal isnt just enough.....Nvidia claimed back in november or so (dont slaughter me coz i cant remember the exact date/time) that the delay on the new series was because the ATI 5000 series was slower then anticipated...really? o.O

Doesn't seem to be much chance of that. Seems Hexus accidentally (?) put up their GTX 480 review which has since been pulled. Plenty of screengrabbers out there tho- so here's a complete list of the benches.
I don't know what driver sets was used, and from the charts and some quick readers on the forums I gather that heat is definitely a consideration.
A forum member at the German site Computerbase also grabbed all the benches.

Hilberts GTX 470 and 480 review up now.

Just saw some benchies over at Hothardware.com and quite frankly I was very surprised and hugely disappointed. Bottom line IMHO GTX 480 is FAIL!

Guest said:
What do you consider marginal? I feel that at least 10% greater performance would be enough to be considered viable given their late release and beyond 10% would be a return to dominance.

Right, but that's a 10% improvement based on the ATi launch benchmarks, which have just been smoked by up to 20+% with their latest drivers... Which puts nVidia behind the curve again. Oh, and they are requiring something like 20% more power? Just off the top of my head there, read it on a site but I'm sure that was conjecture... Point being, equal or lesser performance with higher power requirements = DUD. Even with minor improvement, still a DUD considering how long we've had to wait, and how much they've been tooting their own horn about how the FERMI stuff is the second coming of a cyber messiah and crap like that :)

Nvidia is really struggling. They need to get their act together quickly or they'll be going the way of 3DFX (whom they bought years ago, ironically). If Nvidia has a good chip in the works it should have been out by now. They are way, way late by their own standards. This whole business of saying how their next card will be faster than the competition's card which has been out for 6 mo is an old trick pulled by desperate management. Maybe Nvidia will surprise us, but all signs point to FAIL.

If these cards are so good and its supposed to all new then why are they going to run hotter and be pulling more power than the cards that they have out now.Why would I want a card that runs hotter has to have more power and only give me a 10% increase over an card that I have now that runs cooler and eats evverything that you throw at it for breakfest,and doesn't comsume 2 8pins of power to run they might as well bend over and pray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back