Nvidia releases GeForce GTX 1070 specifications

Scorpus

Staff member

Most of the attention in the graphics card space is focused on the GTX 1080 right now, with benchmarks revealing an extremely powerful card at a reasonable price point. But not everyone has $600+ to spend, which is why many people are eyeing off the GeForce GTX 1070 instead.

Ahead of the launch in just under a month's time, Nvidia has released the specifications of the GTX 1070. As expected, the graphics card features a cut down GP104 GPU, featuring 1,920 CUDA cores (down from 2,560 on the GTX 1080) along with 120 TMUs and 64 ROPs. Boost clock speeds have also decreased, down to 1,600 MHz from 1,733 MHz.

The memory system sees 8 GB of standard GDDR5 connected through a 256-bit bus. Nvidia has also confirmed the card's TDP, which sits at 150W, as well as its array of connectors: three DisplayPort 1.4 ports, a single HDMI 2.0b port, and a connector for the company's new SLI HB bridge.

The GTX 1070 will become available on June 10th for $449 as a Founders Edition card, with board partners set to release customized designs at a lower MSRP of $379 a few weeks later. Nvidia claims this card will slightly outperform the GeForce GTX Titan X.

Permalink to story.

Don't know about beating a TitanX or 980ti in every test. That's a 20% cut on the cores plus slower clocks and memory. Looks like it'll be about 30% slower than the 1080 overall, and put it in line with the 980ti. Still 980ti performance for $370 isn't bad, but the 1080 actually looks more attractive now.

Don't know about beating a TitanX or 980ti in every test. That's a 20% cut on the cores plus slower clocks and memory. Looks like it'll be about 30% slower than the 1080 overall, and put it in line with the 980ti. Still 980ti performance for $370 isn't bad, but the 1080 actually looks more attractive now.

It will beat all previous cards including the TitanX you know why? Cuz Pascal.

You know... I was waiting and really excited for the 1070 spec release. I thought it wasn't going to be far behind the 1080 but it's not as impressive anymore. Nvidia have also held back on lots of potential development they could have added on the 1080, why are they holding back on adding more cores? It's running about 600 or so less than the titan, slower bus speeds as well. If they add these back next year then the card will be insane.

I think they're just holding back so they can keep adding smaller bits year on year to really get their moneys worth of new cards. But the potential for the new finfet and card design could have been so much more, but then they'd have no headroom. If they took full advantage, I honestly believe this card would be 2x even up to 3.5x more powerful than the Titan X. Makes me wonder I should wait untill next year for more refinement or jump straight in now?

And it continues....

Anyways, this card will be yet ANOTHER game changer coming right after the GTX 970, and will give the PC gaming industry another boost. I'll be getting my GTX 1070 some time before Battlefield 1 drops. Gamers asked for a boost in 4K gaming and boy did we get it. Before the Pascal leaks, NO ONE saw this coming.

I can't believe a GTX 1080 is upwards of 100% faster than a GTX 980 and up to 60% faster than a Fury X when overclocked, and without water and HBM! I still think it's a dream...

Last edited:
If we're to believe Nvidia's CEO's claim, the 1070 will be "faster than a TITAN X":

youtu.be/yRxoWkSDhVc?t=3m40s

According to benchmarks, the GTX 1080 is ~22% faster than a TITAN X, so the GTX 1070 performance should be no more than 20% slower than the GTX 1080's and fall somewhere in between the TITAN X and GTX 1080, which is REALLY good.

The GTX 1080 will be priced at 789EUR in Europe, that's $890 alright. I expect the 1070 to retail for 400-420EUR with all the price gouging going on. Once Nvidia reveals their next free game promotion I will be grabbing a 1070 (I expect the free game to be DOOM, although they usually do unreleased Ubisoft games).

Last edited:
And it continues....

Anyways, this card will be yet ANOTHER game changer coming right after the GTX 970, and will give the PC gaming industry another boost. I'll be getting my GTX 1070 some time before Battlefield 1 drops. Gamers asked for a boost in 4K gaming and boy did we get it. Before the Pascal leaks, NO ONE saw this coming..

Everyone saw this coming after 20nm parts were cancelled.

You know... I was waiting and really excited for the 1070 spec release. I thought it wasn't going to be far behind the 1080 but it's not as impressive anymore. Nvidia have also held back on lots of potential development they could have added on the 1080, why are they holding back on adding more cores? It's running about 600 or so less than the titan, slower bus speeds as well. If they add these back next year then the card will be insane.

I think they're just holding back so they can keep adding smaller bits year on year to really get their moneys worth of new cards. But the potential for the new finfet and card design could have been so much more, but then they'd have no headroom. If they took full advantage, I honestly believe this card would be 2x even up to 3.5x more powerful than the Titan X. Makes me wonder I should wait untill next year for more refinement or jump straight in now?
You expected nvidia to bring out it's golden goose right out of the gate, after both kepler and maxwell?

EVERYBODY knows that the 1080ti is in the wings somewhere. Nvidia will release it most likely after vega comes out, or when HBM2 is in good supply.

You expected nvidia to bring out it's golden goose right out of the gate, after both kepler and maxwell?

EVERYBODY knows that the 1080ti is in the wings somewhere. Nvidia will release it most likely after vega comes out, or when HBM2 is in good supply.
I feel the 1080ti is going to be incredible. However, I'll probably upgrade to the 1070 seeming as I'm on a 770 at the moment. I'm starting to lag behind on a lot of games so may have to make the jump now.

I wasn't born yesterday. Read my original coment again...

OK.

Anyways, this card will be yet ANOTHER game changer coming right after the GTX 970, and will give the PC gaming industry another boost. Before the Pascal leaks, NO ONE saw this coming..

How is this card game changer? How GTX970 was game changer (exept it was falsely advertized as 4GB card and does still not support async shaders)? How this will give industry another boost (as probably Nvidia has not many units to sell, so Polaris is going to give much bigger boost)? No one saw WHAT coming?

This guy is just trolling you, don't waste your time on him, he doesn't read properly/chooses to read things in a completely different manner.

Because you don't have nothing to say, you try to explain other member is troll. This is very old trick, so you better just STFU.

The thing is, I really do not have to, you prove it by posting ridiculous banter over and over again. Keep pushing, it only ends badly for you.

Try to figure out something new. I saw this "claim somebody is trolling and do not provide any proof for that" -trick first time during last century.

How is this card game changer? How GTX970 was game changer (exept it was falsely advertized as 4GB card and does still not support async shaders)? How this will give industry another boost (as probably Nvidia has not many units to sell, so Polaris is going to give much bigger boost)? No one saw WHAT coming?
Ok, fine, lets have it your way, this card isn't a game changer, can you please point me in the direction of a "game changing" card?

Edit: the 970 wasn't even close to a "game changer" it was just a good value card, it didn't push any technical boundary's what so ever...

Last edited:
Back