Nvidia Shield can now stream PC games in 1080p to your TV

Scorpus

Staff member

nvidia shield android nvidia gaming pc gaming shield game streaming

Nvidia is continuing to improve the capabilities of their Shield handheld gaming console, today releasing the new December Software Update that enhances the device's 'Console Mode', which streams games from your PC to a TV. Previously the Shield was only capable of streaming PC games at 720p in Console Mode, but improvements to Nvidia's Gamestream technology in the update has enabled 1080p streaming.

Like with 720p streaming, only certain PC titles are 1080p streaming compatible. The Nvidia Shield website lists 23 games that can be streamed in 1080p (or 720p), including popular ones such as Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. A futher 39 games are available for streaming in just 720p, bringing the overall total to 62 streamable games, and more are being added each week.

The December Software Update also improves the Shield's Gamepad Mapper, which allows you to map any game function or control to the physical buttons on the Shield's gamepad. Previously the Gamepad Mapper only allowed you to map touchscreen controls to physical buttons, but today's update allows you to map motion controls - such as tilting the device in a racing game - to a physical control like the analog sticks.

Nvidia launched the Shield in June as an Android-powered handheld console with a Tegra 4 SoC inside and a 5-inch 720p display attached to a "console-grade" controller. It can play Android games found in the Play Store, stream PC games from your Nvidia-powered desktop, or act as the middle man in streaming games from your PC to your TV.

Permalink to story.

Does it stream from PCS on local networks only?
(talking about running games from PC and playing them on the shield)

If you have this in "console" mode, can you then use a separate gamepad? Or do you have to use Shield? Just seems a bit annoying to not only have the shield screen up in the way but also a HDMI cable trailing across the room and kinda isn't a console then :/

So, how does this actually work? Do I need to have a shield or just an NVidia card? Is there a separate device I can plug directly into my TV that connects to my local network? I'm looking for an alternative that doesn't involve a really long HDMI cable and splashtop via attached laptop doesn't cut it (there is too much latency for games).

So, how does this actually work? Do I need to have a shield or just an NVidia card? Is there a separate device I can plug directly into my TV that connects to my local network? I'm looking for an alternative that doesn't involve a really long HDMI cable and splashtop via attached laptop doesn't cut it (there is too much latency for games).
You need a shield for Android games and, for PC streaming, a beefy gaming rig. For 1080p streaming the logical network is:-
PC -> ethernet -> Shield (console mode) -> HDMI -> TV
[use a wireless Bluetooth contoller is optional]

Details :- shield.nvidia.com/specs-and-features/

So you pay extra for NVIDIA card, extra $300 for a shield, extra for a controller... all so you can play your PC games on the TV? Meaning the PC, shield and the TV are unavailable for use

So you pay extra for NVIDIA card, extra $300 for a shield, extra for a controller... all so you can play your PC games on the TV? Meaning the PC, shield and the TV are unavailable for use

The short answer is no. "You" don't buy this bunch of hardware just so you can play PC games on your TV. You buy them for the combination of features the Shield provides and the gaming performance the card provides. The controller, that's for convenience. You can play on a Shield connected to a TV, but it's more convenient to have a wireless controller. You'd buy one even if you had a PC hooked directly to your TV, for the same reason.

Edit: By the way, the Shield is now $250 on Amazon.com.

Back