TechSpot

Nvidia Shield can now stream PC games in 1080p to your TV

By Scorpus
Dec 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia is continuing to improve the capabilities of their Shield handheld gaming console, today releasing the new December Software Update that enhances the device's 'Console Mode', which streams games from your PC to a TV. Previously the Shield was only...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,913   +362

Does it stream from PCS on local networks only?
    (talking about running games from PC and playing them on the shield)
  3. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 605   +72 Staff Member

Yeah local only, even requires Ethernet for 1080p streaming
    ikesmasher likes this.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,496   +304

If you have this in "console" mode, can you then use a separate gamepad? Or do you have to use Shield? Just seems a bit annoying to not only have the shield screen up in the way but also a HDMI cable trailing across the room and kinda isn't a console then :/
  5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

Console mode on the Shield means that you're using a separate controller.
  6. Satki

Satki TS Member Posts: 23

So, how does this actually work? Do I need to have a shield or just an NVidia card? Is there a separate device I can plug directly into my TV that connects to my local network? I'm looking for an alternative that doesn't involve a really long HDMI cable and splashtop via attached laptop doesn't cut it (there is too much latency for games).
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

No matter what it can or can't do, it's still a $300 turd as far as I'm concerned.
  8. musicrab

musicrab TS Rookie

You need a shield for Android games and, for PC streaming, a beefy gaming rig. For 1080p streaming the logical network is:-
    PC -> ethernet -> Shield (console mode) -> HDMI -> TV
    [use a wireless Bluetooth contoller is optional]

Details :- shield.nvidia.com/specs-and-features/
  9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,496   +304

Cool, That's what I like to hear, any recommendations that you know of good controllers that work with it?
  10. musicrab

musicrab TS Rookie

11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,468   +622

So you pay extra for NVIDIA card, extra $300 for a shield, extra for a controller... all so you can play your PC games on the TV? Meaning the PC, shield and the TV are unavailable for use

12. Can I use a PS3 controller since its bluetooth?
  13. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

The short answer is no. "You" don't buy this bunch of hardware just so you can play PC games on your TV. You buy them for the combination of features the Shield provides and the gaming performance the card provides. The controller, that's for convenience. You can play on a Shield connected to a TV, but it's more convenient to have a wireless controller. You'd buy one even if you had a PC hooked directly to your TV, for the same reason.

Edit: By the way, the Shield is now $250 on Amazon.com.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.