Nvidia slowly being defeated?

By acidosmosis
Sep 26, 2003
  1. Now here is a company that can turn a press conference into their own trade show. While NVIDIA had a lot more than VIA to say about their chipsets they seemed to be avoiding the products that we all came to hear about. Those products would be the NVIDIA GPU’s. There was little mention about any new FX cards or the current ones. The NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun made it quite clear that the graphics industry would no longer be the primary focus point of the company. They then continued to demonstrate a wide range of new multimedia products.
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

That's really bad.. We need nVidia to keep ATI on their toes and keep prices reasonable no matter how unreasonable they may currently be. ;)
  3. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Nvidia own 73% of the graphics market (according to some statistics I just read). I don't think they'll give that up easily. Even ATI are diversifying their portfolio of products, as its not good to put all your eggs in one basket. Just look what happens when you screw up. There are new players entering the graphics market, so things will only get tougher for those players that remain.
  4. consie89

consie89 Banned Posts: 47

long live nvidia
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

I agree.

They make GREAT products, and that's not just following marketting hype.

The products are stable, and I've certainly found the drivers to be overall stable.

They are doing a really good job with their linux drivers.

And a good many version of their products aren't especially overpriced.

I hope they are here to stay for a while.
  6. consie89

wh-hay, ive finally have someone agree with me, thats definately a first.
  7. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Make that 3 people ;) I sure hope Nvidia dont die, I find their products to be high reliable, and high quailty. Im sure they can come back :)
  8. consie89

woho im loved
  9. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

p66 and agissi, I too hope that nvidia will stay around for a while, as we need the competition to keep the market healthy...

Apart from that, my (dis)agreement depends on whether or not you include recent actions & products from nVidia, or thinking back to the GF4 times... With the exception of the linux drivers, which they are doing a good job with...
  10. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Interesting interview over at FiringSquad, with Nvidia's chief Scientist David Kirk, on DirectX 9 performance issues.

Some quotes ...

Check out the rest over here ...

An Interview with NVIDIA's David Kirk
  11. consie89

who to trust, nividia isnt going to say ATI has better sofwear and ATI are not going to say Nvidias is better. What we need is proper indipendant recearch done by people with objective views. I think that you can never trust a review or press conferance carried out about quality/perfomance issues unless its done by and indipendant company who isnt secretly getting free beer from nvidia or ATI for saying their softwear is better. I bet soemhow i get ridiculed for this but never mind.
  12. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

Well, there may be good news for nVidia. It appears they may have pulled the proverbial rabbit out of their hat. They seem to be making progress on their real-time pixel and shader compiler in their 52.10 drivers. I found this tidbit at Guru3D...

and here's the link...
  13. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 269

Yeh - those performancing increases are incredeble - i hope these releases prove as sucessful as the 40.xx release - they were an incredeble set of drivers (over 15% performance boost across the whole range)

im with consie89 also "LONG LIVE NVIDIA!"

there products are of the highest quality, very stable and overclock well

i also dont want to c ATi die out (which they wont) - it pushes that market along and keeps prices down! all good things!

p.s. ive got my eye on a 5700 Ultra - fast, resonably priced - and after the 5x.xxs come out it will b fast enought to play HL2 on - WOOHOO!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.