Nvidia soft-launches the GeForce GTX 1060, coming later this month for $249

Scorpus

Staff member

If you've been following the leaks and rumors over the past week, today's announcement won't reveal much that you don't already know. In short, Nvidia has announced the new mid-range GeForce GTX 1060 which brings "the power of a GTX 980" to every gamer, their words not ours.

We have a GeForce GTX 1060 on hand, but we can't reveal any performance information just yet, so look for full benchmarks and analysis in the coming weeks. What we can tell you is the card's specifications: 1280 CUDA cores, a boost clock up to 1.7 GHz, 6 GB of GDDR5 memory at 8 Gbps, and a single 6-pin PCIe power connector to serve the card's 120W TDP.

Considering the GTX 980 was a 165W card, cutting power consumption by 27 percent for the same performance is a decent achievement, if we take Nvidia's statements on face value. However, with half the CUDA cores of Nvidia's GTX 1080 flagship thanks to a new GP106 GPU, this evidently won't be the graphics card you want for 4K gaming.

As expected, the GTX 1060 will start $249 which places it in firm competition with the Radeon RX 480, a card that retails for $200-240. On average, the GTX 980 is around 11 percent faster than the RX 480, so if Nvidia's performance claims are accurate, the GTX 1060 will be around the same cost per frame as the RX 480.

Like the GTX 1070 and 1080, there will also be a Founders Edition GTX 1060 (pictured above) that will cost $299. This will be available alongside partner cards at launch, with similar benefits to other Founders Edition products.

You'll be able to grab a GTX 1060 on July 19th, although most GPU launches this year have seen demand far outstrip supply at launch. Hopefully that won't be the case with the GTX 1060.

If you were thinking of purchasing a Radeon RX 480 any time soon, it might be worth holding off until GTX 1060 reviews are published. It shouldn't be too long before we can start to discuss exactly how this card performs in games, so stay tuned.

Permalink to story.

And yet I still cannot find the Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080 in stock at a reasonable price anywhere... so sad.

Can't wait to see the review when Techspot does it. :)

Good luck finding one of this cards at 250 USD, if the reference card costs 300 USD, the AIB will cost more, wich defeats the purpose of a budget card.

I wonder if there will be a gtx 1060 ti? seems like there's performance space for a ti version between 1070? a $300-$325 ti perhaps?

Here we again! Where's HardReset to tell everyone the power hungry and slower 480 is the better purchase?

I don't know who that is, but I will tell you myself: The 480 is a far better purchase! 1400 MHz AIB 480's launch for $250 in 1 week and have more VRAM. Easy choice imo considering it will actually be able to run DX12 games...
And yet, in guru 3ds benchmarks, the 480 and 980 were within margin of error of each other in dx12, with the 480 only pulling away in hitman. If the 1060 is 980 speed, the the 480 will not be faster in a majority of titles. Not to mention how much more power a 1400 MHz 480 will take

You act like nvidia play dx12 games. I'll say the same thing I've said elsewhere, dx12 will not save AMD.

Pffffttt come on guys stop arguing, the card is not out yet so leave your arguments for later, after the reviews (except Hardreset , he's on his own league :) )

I don't know who that is, but I will tell you myself: The 480 is a far better purchase! 1400 MHz AIB 480's launch for $250 in 1 week and have more VRAM. Easy choice imo considering it will actually be able to run DX12 games...

The added frame buffer won't be all that useful, the GTX 980 proved the 4GB frame buffer to be more than adequate, even the 6GB TI version handled things in stride. And if Nvidia is claiming this to be on par performance wise with the 980 why would it need more VRAM than the faster TI? Perhaps if your thinking of doing multi GPU the 8GB frame buffer could play a role but at that point just get a single faster card and don't stress with the issues of multi GPU setups which have not always been properly supported in the first place. Besides, this has the 480 beat on power consumption and likely performance, but that we will see when the reviews are released. The DX12 debate is moot at best right now, there aren't enough games that support it, better yet games worth playing that support it, in a years time when games do start getting released you can upgrade from a $250 card without feeling badly about it and get something that will performed better.

Sadly, but Radeon cards can't cure stupidity induced by Nvidia fanboyism. If you can't understand the difference in complexity has a price in power consumption, there is nothing worth explaining to you.

he is here somewhere no worries.. ...maybe when the review comes out..wager ,cooler ,quieter,and way,way more overclocking headroom,not to mention power efficient,2 of these 500 bucks and no Bloat ,unnecessary features burning juice,I'm not going 4k till its more mainstream(cheaper)or until my 1600p dies.save the price of one of these in a year over the power use of a pair of r480..power is expensive here and gonna get worse...we will pay for Muskrat falls for a 100 years..

What?and no ASYNC COMPUTE? EPIC FAIL!. there I got that for you...

Here we again! Where's HardReset to tell everyone the power hungry and slower 480 is the better purchase?

And yet, in guru 3ds benchmarks, the 480 and 980 were within margin of error of each other in dx12, with the 480 only pulling away in hitman. If the 1060 is 980 speed, the the 480 will not be faster in a majority of titles. Not to mention how much more power a 1400 MHz 480 will take

You act like nvidia play dx12 games. I'll say the same thing I've said elsewhere, dx12 will not save AMD.

So it won't be faster, but it will be (likely much) cheaper. Good to know.

While it is somewhat disappointing to see the power draw from the RX 480 when it is very likely nVidia will deliver the same/slightly better performance, with less power, the RX 480 is still a good card and should still be competitive with the facts we currently know exist. I will say that I find the extreme nVidia fanboyism/AMD hatred, quite disturbing. Unless you personally hold stock or stand to financially gain from a company's success or another company's failure, there is no logical reason to "root for" one company vs the other.

Buy the product most competitive in the segment for which you are shopping, or the one that otherwise best meets your needs, and let others do the same.

And yet I still cannot find the Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080 in stock at a reasonable price anywhere... so sad.

Can't wait to see the review when Techspot does it. :)

I managed to snag one at $700 three weeks ago, but yeah, hard to find.

Nice, can't wait to see benches. I thought they would skip the founder's edition junk?

So the card isn't releasing now, it's be a few weeks till benches and release and then even more until the founders edition junk wears off? It's going to be a tough sell, AMD just released a drive with 3% more overall performance plus those aftermarket cards are going to be OC'd. By the time the 1060's price comes down the RX 480 is going to be around the same speed and $50 cheaper.

So I saw that on Nvidia’s website, there is a chart showing some performance gains vs. gtx 960. I decided to digitize it and draw a numerical fps comparison with the RX 480 benchmarks.

ZDpFWP0.png

Benchmark Sources:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1198-amd-radeon-rx-480/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview

So, theoretically, it seems the new 1060 outpaces the current RX 480 results. However overall performance in 1080p gaming, they are about the same since they both achieve above 60 fps (beyond that more fps won’t really matter).

I want to read about its overclocking headroom before I choose between this or an RX 480, but either way I guess it's only fair until more power connectors get added by other manufacturers.

Hows the HTC Vive support going at Nvidia ? no, ... didnt think so.

If I'm not mistaken, that should be fix-able with a software/driver update, no? If it's a hardware thing I imagine there's a cheap work-around, but it is pretty comical to advertise the 10 series as "VR ready" or whatever, and then not verify such a simple thing...

Back