Nvidia to reportedly cut GeForce graphics cards prices

Scorpus

Staff member

According to a report from TechPowerUp, Nvidia is set to drop the prices of their GeForce graphics cards to present better value throughout the holiday shopping season, and to compete against AMD's line-up.

The report suggests that the high-end GTX 980 will drop to $449, down from its current price of around $500, and a $100 discount over its $549 launch price. The GTX 970 will drop to $299, down from its launch and still current price of $329. And finally, the GTX 960 will drop to $179 from $199.

Also read: The Best Graphics Cards: Nvidia vs. AMD at Every Price Point

There's no word on whether Nvidia will drop the price of their other cards, particularly the GTX 980 Ti, which currently retails for around $650. If the GTX 980 drops to $450, that leaves a pretty significant gap between the two graphics cards, and might make the 980 Ti too expensive for its performance.

On the other hand, it would seem strange for Nvidia to lower the price of the GTX 950, which launched just a few months ago at $159. But considering the alleged new price of the GTX 960, it could simply be worth spending the extra $20 on the faster of the two cards.

It's not clear when these new prices will come into effect, or whether the report is accurate, but with cards like AMD's Radeon R9 390 competing strongly with the GTX 970 at a slightly lower price point, it might make sense for Nvidia to make some adjustments albeit it could trigger a price war. But hey, the consumer wins after all.

Permalink to story.

This will cripple AMD even further.

I predict that in 3 month when Pascal is announced it will be the end for AMD graphics.

I predict that in 3 month when Pascal is announced it will be the end for AMD graphics.

How is that exactly? You're not taking into account that AMD already has their next-gen cards in the pipeline, not just Nvidia with their Pascal.

How is that exactly? You're not taking into account that AMD already has their next-gen cards in the pipeline, not just Nvidia with their Pascal.

AMD's next-gen video card is as always another re-brand. They have been caught in their own lies for a number of years now.

We know so much about Pascal today, and how revolutionary it is. We know almost nothing about the "new" AMD product, because there is nothing to know there, as usual.

Even more watts to the pile, this time with liquid nitrogen? :)

Last edited:

AMD's next-gen video card is as always another re-brand. They have been caught in their own lies for a number of years now.

We know so much about Pascal today, and how revolutionary it is. We know almost nothing about the "new" AMD product, because there is nothing to know there, as usual.
I agree with everything said here.

We also know Nvidia lie through their teeth on a daily basis.

Maybe pascal will be everything they claim, but based on their past claims with vram, dx12, batman arkham city performance, gameworks in general and a laundry list of other controversies they've been involved in, I'm a little skeptical to say the least.

Right now I'm sceptical about both camps...
Although after running Radeons for the last 13 years and switching to a 970 recently, I'm starting to turn away from the underdog, slowly but surely.

With regards to AMD's next offerings (Greenland??), they will have high-bandwidth memory 2 (HBM) - similar to their current R9-Fury. This will improve memory speed and density; will also improve performance 3x per watt and 50% increase in power savings. Let’s also not forget that they'll be moving to FinFET transistor tech on the 16nm or 14nm process.

Yes, Nvidia is also going to be using HBM instead of GDDR5 and both are going to pack around 17 billion transistors, so the competition should be equal.

Not saying that AMD is going to be the winner, just saying that it's not a re-brand and is new.

It would be disastrous for the gaming consumer if AMD were to close its graphics division (which I highly doubt). Competition is what keeps innovation alive.

Maybe pascal will be everything they claim, but based on their past claims with vram, dx12, batman arkham city performance, gameworks in general
I might agree with that list with the exception of game performance. Point your finger at game devs not nVidia for game performance. Every game being played on nVidia would have to suck, before you could point a finger at nVidia. If it is selective games that suck, then you can only point to the development team.

It would be disastrous for the gaming consumer if AMD were to close its graphics division (which I highly doubt). Competition is what keeps innovation alive.

They have been in talks to sell off their graphics division, without much luck, it seems, and to turn money towards their own ARM processors. So much for their confidence in new graphical products, or even CPU-s for that matter.

Last edited:

You're buying into Nvidia hype way too much.

I have stuck with AMD, recently buying a Sapphire Nitro R390. Quite satisfied although I must admit that I find the prices of gaming video cards insanely high, much less the cost of two or three.
I feel as ripped off as when buying bicycle parts. Some carbon fibre, two wheels and a groupset when for the same money you can buy a Suzuki GSXR 1000 motorcycle. Don't see how these prices are justified.
I guess in the end no one is forcing you to buy them, but when it affects the things you really enjoy the situation is unfortunate

I have stuck with AMD, recently buying a Sapphire Nitro R390. Quite satisfied although I must admit that I find the prices of gaming video cards insanely high, much less the cost of two or three.
I feel as ripped off as when buying bicycle parts. Some carbon fibre, two wheels and a groupset when for the same money you can buy a Suzuki GSXR 1000 motorcycle. Don't see how these prices are justified.
I guess in the end no one is forcing you to buy them, but when it affects the things you really enjoy the situation is unfortunate

Graphics Card prices are justified. Where do you think massive speed gains are coming from each year? Large investments in R&D are required and the production isn't cheap either. Bicycles on the other hand haven't changed much in years.

After using AMD GPUs for years, I went with a pair of the G1 GTX 980 cards and haven't looked back since. I tested the R 390 in another build I done for a friend and was highly disappointed with the card. They took 8 GB of VRAM and crammed it into a GPU that doesn't have enough *** to utilize anywhere near 8GB of VRAM. Such a waste. Also, AMD's GPUs leave much to be desired when it comes to over clocking headroom. I was amazed at the over clocking capability of the Maxwell GPUs both at the core and memory. I think what really did me with AMD was the Fury X benchmarks. AMD released their set of benchmarks that made the Fury X look superior to Nvidia's current cards. Then independent benchmark scores began to surface that totally debunked AMD's inhouse benchmarks. I felt this was shady of AMD to do along with cherry picking reviewers to speak positive about the Fury X, even doing an embargo on certain review sources .I've not made up my mind yet as to whether or not I will upgrade right away when the Pascal GPUs launch or if I wait for awhile. I have more than enough power with the SLI 980 GPUs I have. But one thing is for certain, I won't be buying anything from AMD.

I agree with everything said here.

What's really sad is...AMD does a great job crippling themselves. They really don't need any help from their competitors.

I have been sick of having to buy a new video card each time a new Call of duty is released.

Game graphics have not really imporved that much over the last 7 years, I think they mess with the coding to make a game require a newer card even though the game graphics are not much better.

If you know anything about how games are made, how meshes are made and the animating system, nothing has changed in that, really the newest stuff has been in lighting, polys are polys and you need memory and fast cpu to run more fo them.

But what happens when they reach the point where graphics are as good as they can get?

Well you get what we have now, they need to keep selling cards, we already see where some games are made to play on AMD cards and others for Nvidea, and yet they play just fine on Xbox, and playstation!

So yea I am sure the graphic card companies are playing mind games, and their cards are way over priced as it is for what we get, a part in computers turned upside down so you cant even see it when it is installed, with the fans running and ton of software running the in background slowing down the computer, and able to play a game at 50% graphics settings.

Yea Im done with the scam, and what has happened to the gaming industry, this DLC nickle and diming players crap, not putting campaigns to play with $70 games is starting to suck to, how many different ways can you play capture the flag?

After using AMD GPUs for years, I went with a pair of the G1 GTX 980 cards and haven't looked back since. I tested the R 390 in another build I done for a friend and was highly disappointed with the card. They took 8 GB of VRAM and crammed it into a GPU that doesn't have enough *** to utilize anywhere near 8GB of VRAM. Such a waste. Also, AMD's GPUs leave much to be desired when it comes to over clocking headroom. I was amazed at the over clocking capability of the Maxwell GPUs both at the core and memory. I think what really did me with AMD was the Fury X benchmarks. AMD released their set of benchmarks that made the Fury X look superior to Nvidia's current cards. Then independent benchmark scores began to surface that totally debunked AMD's inhouse benchmarks. I felt this was shady of AMD to do along with cherry picking reviewers to speak positive about the Fury X, even doing an embargo on certain review sources .I've not made up my mind yet as to whether or not I will upgrade right away when the Pascal GPUs launch or if I wait for awhile. I have more than enough power with the SLI 980 GPUs I have. But one thing is for certain, I won't be buying anything from AMD.

How much money have any of you been suckered out of to play a game, how many video cards did they get you to buy for what really?

In a year the $2000 you dropped on 2, 3 or 4 cards, then they are out of date.

Still not as revolutionary as GCN 1.1. You will see why next year. Concurrent Async Compute is the magic phrase.

We have been informed enough to know that AMD's next GPUs will be a great evolution rather than a rebrand. AMD does a lot of rebranding because their GPUs actually have a long life. TressFX works as far back as HD7xxx series. Try running GameWorks on a GTX 7xx card. nVidia gimps their own cards to force upgrades after two years.

I bought the GTX 970 a few months back when Newegg offered Batman Arkham Knight free for buying the card from them. But with the games bad glitch on Steam I never played the game. I did try the card on other games and I was impressed with the performance. Now if I build a new rig with the best specs I can afford say $1200 ( not including the graphics card ) I would like to buy the GTX 980Ti if possible. And that will be my last system to build for the next 5 or 8 years maybe.

"The GTX 970 will drop to $299, down from its launch and still current price of $329."

This was never the "current" price, these cards have been well above $400 since launch and even as high as $521, thanks newegg... Fortunately it can also be found at $445, but that's still way more than the $329 MSRP, even take in to consideration the weak Canadian dollar doesn't account for a $200 mark up, really it should be about $440. If I could get one for $300 I would SLI up without hesitation right now, but surely not at $450.

"The GTX 970 will drop to $299, down from its launch and still current price of $329."

This was never the "current" price, these cards have been well above $400 since launch and even as high as $521, thanks newegg... Fortunately it can also be found at $445, but that's still way more than the $329 MSRP, even take in to consideration the weak Canadian dollar doesn't account for a $200 mark up, really it should be about $440. If I could get one for $300 I would SLI up without hesitation right now, but surely not at $450.

No kidding, the Asus one is still above $400, even with the black Friday deals.

Back