Nvidia unveils Fermi-based Tesla GPUs

By Matthew
Nov 16, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nvidia has unveiled new Fermi-based Tesla products, the Tesla 20 series GPUs, which are aimed at the high-performance computing market. Designed for parallel computing, the company said its Tesla 20 series graphics chips reduce the cost of computing by delivering the same performance of a traditional CPU-based cluster at one-tenth the expense and one-twentieth the power consumption.

Read the whole story
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

at least this one doesn't seem to have wood screws holding it together. :)
  3. poundsmack

poundsmack Newcomer, in training Posts: 74

the future is looks bright for nvidia :)
  4. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Well, it is not that sure what the nVidia future is like... but we wish them well as they go through their travails.
  5. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 900

If the first two are aimed at high power workstations, then isn't nVidia competing with itself? They already has the Quadro series for workstations, and I'm sure they will update that line when the new GPU is released.
  6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 904   +72

These cards are more for render farms than desktop computing right? I'm guessing in this direction because with all the memory that these cards come with, a single DVI connector looks inadequate for a Quadro type replacement. (Unless it's one of those weird ones that have an octopus cable adapter.)
  7. Nvidia's future is dictated by the current state of the world economy.
  8. Nvidia should partner up with Vray / MentalRay people to help those engines render faster. They need to release more specific information before I set a budget for next year!
  9. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 565   +30

Oh man, I wish that I could wish that I could afford one of these babies! Suh-weeeeet!
  10. BlindObject

BlindObject Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

If they only made such art for gaming...
  11. Anyone want to comment on the statement that there will come in Q2 2010? That's... pretty late!
  12. these are way tooo cheap to be a part of my PC
  13. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

"one terabyte of memory"? That's a lot.

Also, I agree Q2 sounds a little late, and they haven't yet released any info of their consumer level chips. Hopefully that's coming soon.

14. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 991   +82

I was expecting them to have more than 2.5 TFLOPs. Doesn't AMD's 5870 have 2.72 TFLOPs? Let's just hope that the 300 series will be good enough to compete with the 5000 series. I want those high prices of dx11 cards to drop a bit before i buy something.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.