Nvidia's full GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 GPUs are reportedly coming to gaming laptops

Scorpus

Staff member

When Nvidia releases their new Pascal-based notebook GPUs in the coming months, they won't be standard 'M' versions like we've seen in the past. Rather than cutting down the company's desktop GPUs to reach lower TDPs for gaming notebooks, Nvidia will simply release high-end desktop parts for laptops with only minor changes.

According to PC Gamer, citing unnamed sources, Nvidia will be bringing fully-fledged GeForce GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 GPUs to laptops. There won't be GTX 1070M or GTX 1080M variants; there will only be Nvidia's desktop-class Pascal GPUs repurposed for mobile form factors.

The only changes to the GTX 1070 and 1080 GPUs for notebooks will be a slightly lower TDP. Everything else – core configurations, memory controllers, boost clock speeds – is expected to be the same.

What Nvidia is doing here with Pascal is identical to what they did last generation when they released the GeForce GTX 980 for notebooks. The GM204 GPU variant was the same part used in desktop graphics cards, with the same CUDA core count and same boost clock speed, but at a lower TDP (closer to 145W than 165W).

If PC Gamer's sources are correct, Nvidia will be taking the philosophy that originated with the GTX 980 for notebooks and applying it to the entire Pascal notebook GPU line. Nvidia will reportedly be ditching their M variants entirely, and all future notebook GPUs will simply be repurposed desktop GPUs.

The lower TDPs of Nvidia's new graphics cards certainly help to achieve desktop/notebook GPU parity. The GTX 1080 is rated at just 180W, while the GTX 1070 is 150W, so if Nvidia can shave a few watts from these figures, they'll fit right in to the bounds of gaming notebooks.

By ditching M variants, Nvidia can streamline their design and manufacturing processes to reduce costs. For notebook gamers, this move will result in far more powerful gaming laptops with hardware comparable to high-end gaming desktops.

Nvidia is expected to reveal Pascal GPUs for notebooks in a few months' time. In the meantime, here's a taste what potentially a Pascal desktop-class GPU could do for notebooks soon enough -- taken from our recent review of the GeForce GTX 1070:

Permalink to story.

Don't they first have to come to consumers? :-|

Paper launches and all
Nope. There's no planning or development for these products. They basically announce the specs then build it as close as they can to them. It's a real simple process and barely costs any money to implement. The best part is the massive margin that allows both companies to thrive in the ever expanding PC home market.

This is great. While these laptops are of course going to be expensive, who wouldn't want a laptop with a full 1070 or 1080. I only hope that they also put them into laptops smaller than 17 inches.

Somebody at nvidia fell asleep at the naming wheel.

These chips are the same , just clocked lower to fit into a notebook TDP.

So, they are mobile chips, why not call them the 1080m and 1070m?

A 145 Watt TDP is estimated while gaming isn't it? I can't imagine they are drawing that much power sitting at the desktop idle.

A 145 Watt TDP is estimated while gaming isn't it? I can't imagine they are drawing that much power sitting at the desktop idle.

Enthusiast-grade background applications that utilize GPU instead of CPU. Because an enthusiast's gotta stand out from the crowd.

Great just what we need, another generation of laptop owners thinking they have the full fledge desktop GTX in their laptop, even though that's completely impossible... The idea of having a GPU with a 145w TDP in a laptop that comes with a power brick in the range of 120-150 watts should tell you more than enough as to how close to the desktop version it really is, or how close it can get. Heck, Nvidia recommends a 500 watt PSU for the GTX 1070, understood that takes into account all the components including a more power hungry CPU but still, how much headroom does having a low wattage CPU leave you on an at most 150 watt power brick for a laptop? It's just a load of marketing BS to help promote their mobile products, in reality these things will be 1070M and 1080M chips, just they think they can sell more to the uninformed public by saying they have all the same specs as the desktop counter parts. Benchmarks as always will prove that in fact they are not the same at all, when we get some comparisons.

Great just what we need, another generation of laptop owners thinking they have the full fledge desktop GTX in their laptop, even though that's completely impossible... The idea of having a GPU with a 145w TDP in a laptop that comes with a power brick in the range of 120-150 watts should tell you more than enough as to how close to the desktop version it really is, or how close it can get. Heck, Nvidia recommends a 500 watt PSU for the GTX 1070, understood that takes into account all the components including a more power hungry CPU but still, how much headroom does having a low wattage CPU leave you on an at most 150 watt power brick for a laptop? It's just a load of marketing BS to help promote their mobile products, in reality these things will be 1070M and 1080M chips, just they think they can sell more to the uninformed public by saying they have all the same specs as the desktop counter parts. Benchmarks as always will prove that in fact they are not the same at all, when we get some comparisons.

Actually Gaming laptops already have both adequate power AND cooling systems to handle near-desktop gpu performance. First was the era of external GPUs connected to laptops, and now the most shining example is ASUS GX700, which was the pioneer in making laptops as strong as desktops, with water cooling and desktop GPUs. More will follow undoubtedly. The only setback is the price and the weight, which is *****ic bordering crazy. with half of what GX700 costs, you can assemble a rig with more power. But, as time goes on, it will get cheaper. Whether we like to admit or not, as components get smaller, more efficient and less hot, laptops will gradually replace desktops.

Somebody at nvidia fell asleep at the naming wheel.

These chips are the same , just clocked lower to fit into a notebook TDP.

So, they are mobile chips, why not call them the 1080m and 1070m?
Because previous mobile "M-chips" used to actually eliminate cores and memory from the design, among other power saving hardware modifications. Underclocking was still thrown in for good measure, but this was more because mobile coolers weren't really up for the task of cooling a fully-clocked version.

Now all they are doing is underclocking, we'll have to see by how much exactly. But I won't be surprised if a few OEMs, like Alienware, ignore the underclocking and pump a little more money into a more advanced GPU cooler. Being able to advertise a 'fully-clocked, full-sized" Pascal GPU would definitely pull in extra sales.

Actually Gaming laptops already have both adequate power AND cooling systems to handle near-desktop gpu performance. First was the era of external GPUs connected to laptops, and now the most shining example is ASUS GX700, which was the pioneer in making laptops as strong as desktops, with water cooling and desktop GPUs. More will follow undoubtedly. The only setback is the price and the weight, which is *****ic bordering crazy. with half of what GX700 costs, you can assemble a rig with more power. But, as time goes on, it will get cheaper. Whether we like to admit or not, as components get smaller, more efficient and less hot, laptops will gradually replace desktops.

But I am still unconvinced that the desktop will ever be completely replaced. While agree, fully fledged gaming laptops will become pretty standard - especially at LANS - desktop will stick around, if only because of the form factor. Whether I am gaming or working, I would much rather sit at my desk, than with a laptop. I suspect desktops will turn into what kit cars, and other heavily modified models, are today. An enthusiast hobby.

The gtx 980 in the laptop is the same in the desktop but the desktop version does beat it on a few games. They only beat it by single digits and the clocks are pretty close. I think tho depending on the oem it can be like 50 or so mhz lower on the laptop to desktop. But since the laptop has 8 gigs and desktop only has 4 the higher the res the better the laptop one does cause of the more vram. And I think the 1070 and 1080 will only be in laptop's of 17 inches or more. With that size the psu is 220 to 330 plenty for 1070 and 1080. Even sli will be possible but the cost will be right there with the 980 4500$. So laptop's will be even closer to desktops with pascal.

The gtx 980 in the laptop is the same in the desktop but the desktop version does beat it on a few games. They only beat it by single digits and the clocks are pretty close. I think tho depending on the oem it can be like 50 or so mhz lower on the laptop to desktop. But since the laptop has 8 gigs and desktop only has 4 the higher the res the better the laptop one does cause of the more vram. And I think the 1070 and 1080 will only be in laptop's of 17 inches or more. With that size the psu is 220 to 330 plenty for 1070 and 1080. Even sli will be possible but the cost will be right there with the 980 4500$. So laptop's will be even closer to desktops with pascal.

By a few FPS? That would be the understatement of the decade... Let's compare 1080p Results with Ultra to Max settings
Battlefield 4 results: GTX980M scores 66 FPS, the GTX980 scores 89.8 FPS
Metro: Last Light: GTX980M scores 36 FPS, the GTX980 scores 84.4 FPS
Bioshock: Infinte: GTX980M scores 91 FPS the GTX980 scores 130.4 FPS
The pattern continues, just thought I'd show you a couple here, you can go look at the benchmarks for yourself, same reviewer GTX980M and GTX980, much more than "single digits" as you seem to believe...

Also your suggesting two 145w TDP cards in SLI will run comfortably off a 330 watt power brick? These thing's are not Platinum rated with near perfect efficiency, so at most that 300 watt power brick will be putting 300 watts in to the laptop, which in itself is pretty absurd, factor in the rest of the laptops components, the display, the CPU, RAM, drives, etc. than you expect it to be similar performance to two unrestricted desktop counterparts? Too funny.

This is great. While these laptops are of course going to be expensive, who wouldn't want a laptop with a full 1070 or 1080. I only hope that they also put them into laptops smaller than 17 inches.

Agreed, I love my little 11 inch alienware laptop and can't find anything to replace it, Something of a similar size with one of these gpu's in would certainly do the job.

By a few FPS? That would be the understatement of the decade... Let's compare 1080p Results with Ultra to Max settings
Battlefield 4 results: GTX980M scores 66 FPS, the GTX980 scores 89.8 FPS
Metro: Last Light: GTX980M scores 36 FPS, the GTX980 scores 84.4 FPS
Bioshock: Infinte: GTX980M scores 91 FPS the GTX980 scores 130.4 FPS
The pattern continues, just thought I'd show you a couple here, you can go look at the benchmarks for yourself, same reviewer GTX980M and GTX980, much more than "single digits" as you seem to believe...

Also your suggesting two 145w TDP cards in SLI will run comfortably off a 330 watt power brick? These thing's are not Platinum rated with near perfect efficiency, so at most that 300 watt power brick will be putting 300 watts in to the laptop, which in itself is pretty absurd, factor in the rest of the laptops components, the display, the CPU, RAM, drives, etc. than you expect it to be similar performance to two unrestricted desktop counterparts? Too funny.
You must think I was talking about their m versions. I am not there mobile version is only 90w and the cuda cores have been cut. The 980m is basically a 970 and wut im talking about is the 980 without the m. These are the card's that are single digits behind there desktop counter parts. So if you put the 980m to the desktop counter part then yes it wouldnt keep up. But they have put the same 980 as a desktop in a laptop which doesnt use the m. And from what I have read the pascal line will do the same as the 980. In which only the bigger 17 and 18 inch will be getting them. I have had the 980's for a few months now and they have played on par and a little better then the 4 gig 980 in desktops

The ASUS GX700 is the first with water cooling it will also come with 2 330 watt PSU and it will allow for higher overclocking. Asus is saying 40% but the size of the water cooling is 1/3 the size of a laptop. That one is definitely built with the water cooling in mind.

The ASUS GX700 is the first with water cooling it will also come with 2 330 watt PSU and it will allow for higher overclocking. Asus is saying 40% but the size of the water cooling is 1/3 the size of a laptop. That one is definitely built with the water cooling in mind.

...Well then, I guess if you want to lug around a suit case for your laptop, then by all means, but really? This has got to be the worst idea ever, or was that the Avalon by Asus?

Sure is a looker...
csm_teaser1_ad2dcb4e05.jpg

People who buy this have problems, or are compensating for something, or it's a joke? A $4000+ joke?

...Well then, I guess if you want to lug around a suit case for your laptop, then by all means, but really? This has got to be the worst idea ever, or was that the Avalon by Asus?

Sure is a looker...

People who buy this have problems, or are compensating for something, or it's a joke? A $4000+ joke?

Lol so when your provin wrong you have to bash ppl for buying something that they have a use for. What happen to ppl thinking they had genuine desktop gpus. You singing a different tune the other day what happen to that. You even linked benchmarks lol

Sure is a looker...

People who buy this have problems, or are compensating for something, or it's a joke? A $4000+

Sure is a looker...

Lol so when your provin wrong you have to bash ppl for buying something that they have a use for. What happen to ppl thinking they had genuine desktop gpus. You singing a different tune the other day what happen to that. You even linked benchmarks lol

Sure is a looker...

To be fair... people who buy this don't really intend to take the brick with them, everyone always assumes that if they had this that means they would carry the brick around... its just as simple as detaching the enclosure and moving out with the laptop. But if you where to put it that way, EVEN if they do take it with them it would be more portable than carrying a whole desktop PC and still achieve power Very close to that of a gaming desktop.

Back