Nvidia's GeForce 337.50 Beta driver significantly boosts performance

By Scorpus
Apr 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday, Nvidia posted a new beta driver for their GeForce graphics cards, promising significant performance improvements over previous drivers. Through DirectX optimizations in the new GeForce 337.50 beta driver, Nvidia claims performance gains of up to 64% in single-GPU configurations,...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I'll just wait for GFE to update my driver automatically with the WHQL one.
  3. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 218   +64

That's how I usually do it, but hey free performance boost... I'm there!!!
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Already grabbed this on my laptop, have not really tried it yet beyond a game of League this morning.
  5. Arwed

Arwed TS Rookie

Weren't those figured faked like "+% since last NV gen" ? At some point I've heard, that the same card only gets like 3-5% increase. The 65% was meant to be like "the 770 with new stuff is 123% better than 670".. when it was like 118% better anyways.

Warning: These numbers may be faked by marketing"!
  6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

It is very impressive how they can increase the performance so much just by tuning drivers. It shows how inefficient some code can be. Most of the numbers are probably inflated though for marketing purposes...
  7. We are talking about 3-5% advantage from that better driver. Its impressive, as it comes from a free software update - but it aint even close to what Mantle/DX12 deliever due to their API nature.
  8. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah but in some games like BF4 and Arkham Origins and benchmarks like FireStrike the increases are large. I am referring to the results from >>this<< video if you are curious.
  9. thetawaves90

thetawaves90 TS Rookie

Just look at the y-axis scale on the "geforce + dx11 12% faster" graph; we're talking a gaming performance improvement of about 0.2 of a frame per second over the comparative AMD model and less than 0.05 of a frame per second improvement over the pre-existing drivers.

We have no point of reference for the scale of the "SLI performance graph", other than a "percentage increase" with nothing to base those figures on.

A claim of 64% single-gpu performance increase warrants some details on the benchmarking setup so there can be some assurance of validity of results.