NWN crashing but windows not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To start off, I've found the fix to my problem. But only after spending an entire day troubleshooting my system; and considering, reading forums such as this was part of what helped me find the solution to my hair tearing day, I thought I'd share it with the rest of the world.

I have an Asus A8V-XE mobo with an AMD athlon X2 dual core 3800+, running an ATI Radeon X1650 vid card, using Gskill 512 x 2 DDR400 ram.....and an old IDE IBM deskstar 80 gig hard drive.

SO, after much anticipation of getting my new system up and running, the one game I play regularly was giving me some strange problems. I would play for anywhere from 30 seconds to 15 minutes and my character on Neverwinter Nights would start twitching...along with every other character on the server I play on...NPC or not. The game would crash with the always happy to see ___ has encounterd problems and will be closed by windows dialog box, and 2 different bsod's popped up too; one for portcls.sys and the other for usbdriver.sys Also, background voices would repeat erratically really fast as opposed to the regular every 30 seconds or so. Sometimes it would let me play for another 10 minutes, albeit a very frustrating 10 minutes of having to endure lag death, and other times it would crash immediately.

After installing new ram, updating every driver I possibly could, monitoring cpu and vid card temps, disabling various onboard peripherals, flashing bios changing vid settings within the game and reading about a thousand forums, I finally found a dual core optimizer utility from AMD that solved all my gaming woes.
So to all you people out there that are running dual cores and are having gaming problems...try that. I tried putting in a link for it but this is my first post and techspot didn't let me :(. It's pretty easy to find on AMD's site though.

We don't need the optimizer, it is just something that caused the Windows XP to misbeahavior, to solve this, change the Affinity on the task manager on the specific processor.

Generally the most games don't need the optimizer. Such as Steam games.

Affinity on the task manager....how do you go about doing that? I'm familiar with Task Manager of course, but don't know anything about Affinity. Help please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back