NZXT's Kraken G12 makes it easy to watercool your graphics card

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Most high-end graphics cards come with decent air coolers but that’s certainly not a given. In addition to being overly loud, some can become overwhelmed under intense, extended loads which can lead to throttling, instability and even shortened lifespans.

Liquid-based coolers are typically more efficient and generate less noise but unfortunately, they aren’t all that uncommon (or affordable). The good news, however, is that you may be able to use an all-in-one (AIO) CPU watercooling kit to chill that hot GPU thanks to NZXT’s newest product.

The NZXT Kraken G12 is a specialty bracket for graphics cards that allows you to mount a CPU AIO cooler onto the GPU. NZXT says the assembly, which is compatible with over 40 different GPUs – both AMD and Nvidia reference and non-reference designs – and more than 30 different liquid coolers, can afford up to a 40 percent increase in cooling capacity.

The bracket also comes with a 92mm fan attached for active VRM cooling.

NZXT lists the Kraken G12 on its website for $29.99 in your choice of white or black color schemes with an “earliest” estimated shipping date of April 24.

If you’re looking to boost the cooling performance of your GPU, this may certainly be worth a look (just be sure to check out the list of compatible graphics cards and coolers before purchasing).

Permalink to story.

I have an G10 on my 7970Ghz and its been fantastic. Looking forward to trying this new one on VEGA when its released.

"Liquid-based coolers are typically more efficient and generate less noise but unfortunately, they aren’t all that uncommon (or affordable)"

Think you meant "common", not "uncommon".... good article though...

It cracks me up when I recall a neighbor of mine that decided to "improve" his computers cooling system. He took an old window AC and replaced the cooling coil with 10' of copper tubing that he wrapped around the inside of his PC. It was cheap enough (used an old window unit he no longer needed) and he had only about $20 in parts but unfortunately the computer shut down after 2 hours and was covered in frost. While it wasn't great for cooling the computer I did suggest he take out the guts of the thing and use it for a small portable fridge. He still has it and gets quite a few posative comments on his portable refrigerator that looks just like a PC!

The G10 was a great idea, hopefully this one works even better. I could see water-cooling both my GPUs in the near future (mmmm.....watercooled chips)

In the late 90's, I got into the whole CPU water cooling thing, but, these days, after spending 8-10 hours
dealing with lDIOT customers with their technology problems, I don't bother with PC gaming.
Heck, couple years ago, I bought my first already built computer...didn't even bother building it myself.
Web...streaming, that's about the extent of my computering at home these days.

It cracks me up when I recall a neighbor of mine that decided to "improve" his computers cooling system. He took an old window AC and replaced the cooling coil with 10' of copper tubing that he wrapped around the inside of his PC. It was cheap enough (used an old window unit he no longer needed) and he had only about $20 in parts but unfortunately the computer shut down after 2 hours and was covered in frost. While it wasn't great for cooling the computer I did suggest he take out the guts of the thing and use it for a small portable fridge. He still has it and gets quite a few posative comments on his portable refrigerator that looks just like a PC!

It freezing over just means he didn't overclock hard enough.

In the late 90's, I got into the whole CPU water cooling thing, but, these days, after spending 8-10 hours
dealing with lDIOT customers with their technology problems, I don't bother with PC gaming.
Heck, couple years ago, I bought my first already built computer...didn't even bother building it myself.
Web...streaming, that's about the extent of my computering at home these days.

I've deal with ***** customers and I agree about not coming home to trouble shoot issues. But that is why my **** at home always works I don't have the issues those customers have. When I leave work those problems don't come home with me.

And as someone that has been building computers since 13, I would never buy a prebuilt box. It takes away the joy I get from building which is something I will never get sick of.

Having someone else build it for me is blasphemy lol

Last edited:
Back