O.E.M question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinlw

Hi,Is it true if i buy a windows Vista or Xp OEM version, if i install it on my present PC and then decide to upgrade motherboard etc, i will then have to buy a new copy for it to work with the new upgraded computer or is this rubbish i have read.Another explanation i have read was that all OEM is the disc without a box or manual,are both true or just the one explanation.:confused:

Most of what you say is true:
It is just a CD/DVD and install code with no manual.
Strictly speakling the OEM edition dies with the machine it installed on. However, if say the HDD or Motherboard dies then you will have to reinstall - no problem. Sometimes you are asked to phone for activation - just tell them the drive died or whatever went wrong.

What AlbertLionheart said plus you are allowed a certain amount of upgrades before the reactivation requirement kicks in.

I believe you can have upwards of three but on the fourth is when you need to do a reactivation call.

Microsoft's whole activation scheme and OEMs is about as clear as mud.

I have done loads of upgrades on my system and so far no questions - fingers crossed as I am just about to upgrade the CPU.. will let you know if there is a problem with it

Hi,If i was to load windows 98 onto three computers and then buy an upgrade version of windows xp,could i use one copy of the upgrade or would i still have to buy three copies of the upgrade,mind you would the copy of windows 98 encounter the same problem.:rolleyes:

The function of this forum is not to give advice on how to bend the rules! Having said that, you need a licenced copy of windows for each machine it is installed on, and you can only install a copy one one machine.
Therefore you need 3 individual copies of W98 and three individual upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back