Obama administration vetoes Apple sales ban in U.S.

Shawn Knight

Staff member

obama apple sales ban obama administration

The Obama administration over the weekend vetoed a previous ruling by the U.S. International Trade Commission that banned the import and sale of older models of Apple’s iPhone and iPad. The ban was initially granted back in June after Samsung accused Apple of patent infringement.

Provisions of the ban stated the administration had 60 days to review the decision and step in if necessary. The import and sales ban was scheduled to go into effect on Monday before the Obama administration intervened. This marks the first time an administration has intervened on a matter like this since 1987.

Specifically, it was U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman that ultimately disagreed with the earlier ruling and made the call over the weekend. He noted the decision was based on the effect it would have on competitive conditions in the U.S. economy and the effect on the U.S. consumers.

Following the decision, Samsung said they were disappointed that the U.S. Trade Representative decided to set aside the previously issued exclusion order. They said the ITC’s decision correctly recognized that Samsung has been negotiating in good faith and that Apple remains unwilling to take a license.

Apple said in a statement that they applaud the administration for standing up for innovation in the landmark case. Furthermore, they believe Samsung was wrong to abuse the patent system in such a way.

Froman said Samsung could continue to pursue patent rights through the courts if they choose to.

Permalink to story.

"Apple said in a statement that they applaud the administration for standing up for innovation in the landmark case. Furthermore, they believe Samsung was wrong to abuse the patent system in such a way."

Hahaha, pot, kettle, black.

The only innovation coming out of Cupertino these days is lies and litigation.

"Apple said in a statement that they applaud the administration for standing up for innovation in the landmark case. Furthermore, they believe Samsung was wrong to abuse the patent system in such a way."

Are you kidding me? Honestly this is beyond pathetic, abuse the system as much as possible Apple, and then when the other guy gets in trouble point it out and pretend to be the better party... Just sad

He noted the decision was based on the effect it would have on competitive conditions in the U.S. economy and the effect on the U.S. consumers.
Sounds more like he is an Apple fanboy and just needed an excuse to prevent this and defend this sad excuse for a decent company.
Should just pin this on Apple, and if they REALLY cared about the consumers (bahahahahaha, oh sorry) they would at least try to find a way to prevent this (pay Samsung for using the patent) instead of fighting it and dragging it on (and on, and on) like they love doing...
However since this only applies to the import of older models, it makes everything even more pathetic...

Just please DO NOT try to tell me that this country IS NOT ruled by corporations.

...so we reverse the decision and you open-up one US manufacturing factory to calm people and feedcrap them about our best intentions at heart (and how we care) and at the same time we try to change a negative view of OUTSOURCING.

learn to think, please ?

When governments get involved in a judicial review, it can cause international incidents. No reason why the U.S. government needed to get involved. The process was working as it should. Apple refuses to sign a license for Samsung's patents. The court and the ITC agreed and banned Apple from selling products that use the patent in the United States.

To say that the ban would affect competitive conditions is nonsense. There isn't a monopoly on cellphones like t.v. service and internet. Quite a few cities and towns only have 1 provider that provides t.v. and internet but you don't see the government coming in and screaming about competitive conditions.

Instead of waisting money on st up id patent disputes why not throw it where it is due like fixing broken apple products. Like the video blank out problem on almost all of their imac and macbook pro line as well as the mac pro heat issues and the iphone water damage problem. Make all phones water proof already. 70 % of earth is covered with water all outdoor devices should be water proof to a high degree. These include cameras phones and laptops. Watches apple! Or potty. I mean ipod. I love it when the I d I otic autocorrect tool corects a close enough spelling to a totally wrong spelling. That just makes my day. Love automation. I need a toilet instead that wipes me.

C'mon the process is only successful if it works against no US companies.

It is only fair when it is against other countries company. If it is against a US company must be stopped from being unfair. It is no fair to go against a US company!

Shouldn't the title be Obama? I mean, did his whole "administration" veto it, or did he?

Obama should have stayed the hell out of this. There are more important things that he should be concerned with.

Just wonder what is in the interest of the US to protect APPLE. As far as I as I can tell by they hide their profits they area foreign company also

Sooo, Apple gets the sale of Samsung products blocked in other countries with a few pathetic weak "look and feel" patents, and it's just fine... Samsung has a legitimate operational patent that Apple decides to just rip off rather than license, gets busted and a ruling against them, and they whine about Samsung abusing the patent system? Really?

What little respect I had left for Apple just got completely flushed down the toilet with that one.

Shouldn't the title be Obama? I mean, did his whole "administration" veto it, or did he?
Obama should have stayed the hell out of this. There are more important things that he should be concerned with.

Obama didn't directly have anything to do with it. The title says it's his administration because 'Administration' includes the prez and everyone he nominates and/or appoints. In the case of Michael Froman, he was nominated by Obama, so he's part of the administration.

Couldn't agree more with those of you who point out the hypocrisy of Apple Co. Their entire business model is based around exploiting consumers, phasing out user and small company innovation, dishonesty and deception (releasing products that are technologically behind others they have already designed), and eliciting favorable treatment by policy makers, as most of them are technologically ignorant, and therefore like the user-friendly, overpriced and capability limited apple product line. Apple is solely responsible for stifling the progress of the powerful desktop computer market. Samsung is right to be pissed, and the Obama administration (like those before) shows that they are but a pawn of big business. I hope that Apple eventually bites the dust like it did when it was Macintosh. Screw Apple -- go Samsung (they make great SSD's ya know :))

So let's simplify this:

"He noted the decision was based on the effect it would have on competitive conditions in the U.S. economy and the effect on the U.S. consumers."

They didn't want to take a hit financially since Apple's phones are a good factor in the US economy, so they veto'd the decision. In other words a US company can get away with patent abuse if they are a driver of US economy. That is beyond ****ed up.

Here is how it went ..

Tim calls up Obama ..and says .. hey buddy .. you owe me one ..

Obama says .. sure .. I'll take care of it!

DONE!

So what he's the president of the United States he can do what he thinks best for America. I say we should stick by our companies here in america. South Korea has a strong foot hold on our country already with LG and Samsung products along with the KIA and Hyundai.

I for one don't see anything wrong with this. The United Stated is playing favorites with a US based company. Is it really that far fetched? I like Samsung. In fact, I have a galaxy phone. But I would still rather see an american company dominate any foreign competition. Do you really think China(or any other nation) would do any different if provided with the same decision?

The Obama administration is a complete joke. But at least they got this little decision right.

I for one don't see anything wrong with this. The United Stated is playing favorites with a US based company. Is it really that far fetched? I like Samsung. In fact, I have a galaxy phone. But I would still rather see an american company dominate any foreign competition. Do you really think China(or any other nation) would do any different if provided with the same decision?

The Obama administration is a complete joke. But at least they got this little decision right.
A US based company that moves billions of dollars from the us tax system

Specifically, it was U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman that ultimately disagreed with the earlier ruling and made the call over the weekend.

When governments get involved in a judicial review, .

There was nothing judicial about it. This was not a decision of the courts, it was a decision of the US trade "commission". Also, every decision made by the commission is automatically passed up to the administration for review. That is standard procedure. And like they said - Samsung is free to pursue the matter in the courts if the think they have a case.

Just needed to say that talking about inovation... there were so many good comments here I wish there was a "Like" button...

Curious thing the website is called "tech"spot but has no "like buttons?"

Back