Obama details $18.2 billion wireless broadband plan

Emil

Staff

President Barack Obama's budget to pay for new networks is $27.8 billion, which he will get by auctioning airwaves relinquished by television broadcasters. $10.7 billion will help build a nationwide wireless network for emergency workers, $5 billion will help Americans get mobile access to high-speed Internet service, and $3 billion will go to research and development. All in all, Obama expects to have $9.6 billion available for reducing the federal deficit, meaning that $18.2 billion will go towards the wireless broadband plan.

The White House explained Obama's "Plan to Win the Future through the Wireless Innovation and Infrastructure Initiative" in five major points:

• Nearly Double Wireless Spectrum Available for Mobile Broadband: The President has set the goal of freeing up 500 MHz of spectrum for everything from smartphones to wireless broadband connectivity for laptops to new forms of machine-to-machine communication within a decade. Critical to realizing this goal are "voluntary incentive auctions" and more efficient use of government spectrum, estimated to raise $27.8 billion over the next decade.
  • Provide At Least 98% of Americans with Access to 4G High-Speed Wireless: Private investments are extending 4G to most of the Nation, but leaving some rural areas behind. The President's initiative would support a one-time investment of $5 billion and reform of the "Universal Service Fund" to ensure millions more Americans will be able to use this technology.
  • Catalyze Innovation Through a Wireless Innovation (WIN): To spur innovation, $3 billion of the spectrum proceeds will go to research and development of emerging wireless technologies and applications.
  • Develop and Deploy a Nationwide, Interoperable Wireless Network for Public Safety: The President's Budget calls for a $10.7 billion commitment to support the development and deployment of a nationwide wireless broadband network to afford public safety agencies with far greater levels of effectiveness and interoperability. An important element of this plan is the reallocation of the D Block for public safety and $500 million within the WIN Fund.
  • Cut the Deficit By $9.6 Billion Over the Next Decade: Nearly $10 billion of spectrum auction revenue will be devoted to deficit reduction.

Obama declared that wireless Internet would be available to 98% of Americans in five years in his State of the Union speech late last month. Now he has outlined his plan on how to achieve the goal. We're a bit less skeptical now, but we still think the goal is going to be very difficult to achieve.

Permalink to story.

Quote: "$5 billion will help Americans get mobile access to high-speed Internet service" Unquote

All Americans? As in all citizens from all 35 countries that make up America? or just US Citizens?

Guest said:
Quote: "$5 billion will help Americans get mobile access to high-speed Internet service" Unquote

All Americans? As in all citizens from all 35 countries that make up America? or just US Citizens?

Is that sarcasm or a serious question?

Considering it is Obama, It will most likely only apply to the US.

This is stupid... people don't NEED internet. Osama Barack is an ***** along with his entire administration....

yRaz said:
Guest said:

Is that sarcasm or a serious question?

I'm praying it's just sarcasm. If it's a serious question, I will officially give up hope for our future, lol. That's why I don't read YouTube comments very much anymore. I got tired of seeing how stupid the upcoming generation is...made me depressed. I blame the instant messaging lingo (dat is kool, dis is da bom, plz, etc etc). Remember when people actually knew how to talk? Sorry...drifted off topic there :p

lol at the youtube comments section. but I have to agree though, comments section in YouTube are now trash, and it gets worse with the new "most liked comments" feature.

IAMTHESTIG said:
This is stupid... people don't NEED internet. Osama Barack is an ***** along with his entire administration....

If you didn't have an internet where would you get your propaganda? how clever, Osama Barack...

You're right, maybe no one should have internet. After all, it just makes spreading lies easier. You can go online and find people who agree with you, even if you're wrong. Please, vet your sources. Look up the bills the republican house has tried to pass so far. There isn't a single jobs bill and the only deficit reduction bill they have is taking away programs for helping poor people. It doesn't even save that much money. They could tax rich people, but it's more important to stop the gays from getting married and preventing abortions. How's that for small government, tracking a woman all the way through her pregnancy to prevent her from having an abortion. Sorry rape victims, you have to have that low life's kid now.

I work a full time minimum wage job through community college(16 credits), but I guess I'm just a lazy poor person. No more food stamps, no more utility assistance, no help for unwed single moms. I'm sure the country would be a much better place if everyone was cold and hungry.

I've lost all faith in America.

IAMTHESTIG said:

People haven't needed electricity, communications, highways, fire fighters or water delivery either... But I'm sure glad we have those things. Aren't you?

Like it or not, having an educated public is the ONLY way to maintain an effective democracy. If you like the democratic principles of our republic, then you should like providing access to Internet for everyone.

If you don't want infrastructure to advance our country, then please GTFO.

We are over $12 TRILLION in debt. Will someone please help vote this COMMUNIST out of office!

tedster said:
We are over $12 TRILLION in debt. Will someone please help vote this COMMUNIST out of office!

What does communist mean and what is it about Obama that makes him one?

yRaz said:
tedster said:

What does communist mean and what is it about Obama that makes him one?

To echo your previous comment... Is that sarcasm or a serious question?

Just to put all your worst fears to rest; Carlos Slim is waaaay ahead of getting other American countries wireless internet. So as far as catering for other countries, that's not clever. We can hardly provide for ourselves. If anything, there's every reason to think that America Movil will continue entering the US market. Already tracfone, and subsidiaries have a qualified grip on providng wireless in the US. Now that there's airspace up for auction, I'm sure the Slim family are sitting bolt upright.

Well I can see spending money for newer technologies, but where does that come from ??

And wouldn't this be a step towards Government taking control of the Internet ??

Me personally DON"T like Big GOVT involved in ANYTHING....

ANd it is still UP in the Air about the ObamaCare issues...Big GOVT in control of your Health System

can u imagine, if I can afford INSURANCE and being arrested for not having coverage, the JAIL system is

way overcrowded even NOW, so where'd the arrested people go ??

just my 2 cents....

Back