TechSpot

Obama signs E-Label act that will phase out regulatory logos on the back of your devices

By Jos
Nov 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Well thought out, carefully crafted gadgets are a thing of beauty. But for all the streamlining and minimalism that may go into a design, there's no avoiding those off-putting logos and regulatory compliance numbers tattooed on the back of devices....

Read more

2. mrtraver

mrtraver TS Guru Posts: 344   +43

I'd never noticed before, but my 2013 Nexus 7 does not have any of these regulatory labels visible on the outside. Unless they were on a sticker that I don't remember peeling off.

3. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 510   +45

I normally only see stuff like that on the back if I phones

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Hey how bout that....next time I hear about the govt never doing anything useful, I'll be sure to tell them that new phones won't have an extra logo on the back

Hexic and Jamesbrah like this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

LOL - That has got to be the funniest comment I've read in a last week or two.

6. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +58

Now you really won't know what is a knockoff and what isn't.

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

Hahaha! So the logos are actually protection against duplication. The logos are just so difficult to copy, after getting every other aspect of the phone correct.

8. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 910   +387

Funny...my Huawei Ascend Mate2 bought in July, through Huawei USA, has nothing on the stock back cover except a tiny Huawei logo, below the camera.

9. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,670   +778

Maybe they got the idea from all those "tagless" Fruit of the Loom commercials ... God, I hope we're not going to start seeing government commercials with Obama in place of Jordan! Arrrrggghhhhhh!!!!

10. QuaZulu

QuaZulu TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +9

Good grief! This has to go to the president?! Russia, IS, Ebola, immigration, taxes...and, oh yeah, e-labels on electronic equipment. Or maybe this is just another sad indication of how gridlocked the USG is - can't agree on anything except something this low on the "totem pole." Sheesh!

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,698   +1,884

Yes, but I wouldn't care. Does it even matter? What's the f***ing difference? The fakes are most likely made after hours in the same Chinese factories as the real ones.

In China, "Oh-Sha", is the name of the delivery company in charge of bringing toxic chemicals to the job site. Make sure Mrs. Chang packs a small mirror, a rolled up 20 Yuan note, and a single edged razor blade in your lunch box, so you'll be ready to party like there's no tomorrow when the van gets there.

Ooooorrr maybe, you'll be able to tell if it's a real iPhone when it drops calls if you hold it wrong.

Oooooorrr, maybe they'll change the law so you have to put stickers on the fakes! Something like this: ">gotcha(y)sucka<".:oops: