TechSpot

Obama to unveil a package of reforms to deal with patent trolls

By Shawn Knight
Jun 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. President Barack Obama is expected to announce new laws governing patents in the US in the near future. Specifically, the president will reveal five executive actions and propose seven legislative changes that will get a closer look from Congress in...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,971   +586

Burn all them bridges down, Obama, that's the only way to make sure!

3. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +10

'bout time!

ReederOnTheRun likes this.
  4. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 407   +78

Good job! The coolest president we have had, besides bill Clinton.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,248   +1,549

Thats the complete opposite of the way I feel. Actually I don't have any respect for anyone in office. The criteria of which one is deemed worthy of office is pathetic.

Edit:
    Yeah you are right, I am trolling this topic. Thats how ridiculous I see our government.

NTAPRO and m4a4 like this.
  6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,293   +547

Well I like this idea, but im inclined to agree with clifford.

7. As a Canadian, I'm glad to see Obama step in and address the broken patent system. USA was just making themselves look bad. Patents for an unlock slider from destination Point A to Point B or a shopping cart feature??

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,343   +806

Maybe Samsung are trying to get the US government in their back pocket so they don't have to go through with what they went through with Apple. It's about time they curbed patent trolling.

gingerbill likes this.
  9. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

I have some mixed feelings about Obama, but this definitely helps his case in my mind. Finally someone is doing something about all the patent trolling.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  10. Kevin82485

Kevin82485 TS Member Posts: 54   +11

This is a good start with patents. Now if he can just reform copyright.

11. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

I don't even know where to begin..........just NO

12. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 548   +149

Yeah? And what else will he try hiding in it? I like the idea, but have no faith in him being honest...

13. J_Gert

J_Gert TS Rookie

I definitely support this bill. I hope it goes through unanimously. This will definitely help the consumer and save millions for other companies which should pass down to us.

gingerbill likes this.
  14. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

I wish their is a Like button on this article

15. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,248   +1,549

There is in forum mode.

16. I wondered what that sound I heard earlier was...it was the sound of congressional lobbyists' phones ringing, audible five states away.

gingerbill likes this.
  17. platinumsteel

platinumsteel TS Rookie Posts: 27

I wonder if this would cool down the fussing and fighting between apple and samsung...lol

18. Honestly Obama will do anything at this point if it distracts people from the IRS, EPA, Benghazi, reporter scandals and whatever else we don't know about yet...

19. I'm sure it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Google protecting Android, or Google's indirect competition with Apple. nah... Why on Earth would Google lobby the government to change the patent laws? hmmm

spencer likes this.
  20. What hiding? Nothing is truly hidden in DC. People just fail to read what they sign.

spencer likes this.
  21. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

google is partners with the NSA Duh

22. gingerbill

gingerbill TS Enthusiast Posts: 174   +12

Really is about time . Something certainly needs done.

23. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,343   +806

Cast your eyes to the bottom right of the postings, you'll see it right next to the "reply" button.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.