Obama to unveil a package of reforms to deal with patent trolls

Shawn Knight

Staff member

obama patent trolls

President Barack Obama is expected to announce new laws governing patents in the US in the near future. Specifically, the president will reveal five executive actions and propose seven legislative changes that will get a closer look from Congress in an effort to end costly patent-related lawsuits typically initiated by patent-holding firms, otherwise known as patent trolls.

Those in the tech industry will likely welcome the changes as many have complained that patent litigation is on the rise and is a serious threat to innovation. A press release on the issue obtained by Politico says the White House is offering the proposals to stop the drain on the American economy.

Some of the proposed changes are just what tech companies have been asking for. For example, one would require patent holders and applicants to disclose the true owner of the patent in an effort to prevent firms from using shell companies and suing rivals. Other changes would offer better protections against being sued for infringement and manipulating how fees are awarded for those that are successful in court.

Perhaps one of the biggest chances, however, has to do with how the International Trade Commission issues injunctions in patent cases. This method has become increasing more popular among trolls looking to threaten and extort businesses as it’s relatively easy to receive an injunction.

Moving forward, the president wants patent owners to update their patent ownership information on a regular basis through the Patent and Trademark Office. The office will also be responsible for issuing educational material to help those that are targeted by patent trolls.

Permalink to story.

Good job! The coolest president we have had, besides bill Clinton.
Thats the complete opposite of the way I feel. Actually I don't have any respect for anyone in office. The criteria of which one is deemed worthy of office is pathetic.

Edit:
Yeah you are right, I am trolling this topic. Thats how ridiculous I see our government.

As a Canadian, I'm glad to see Obama step in and address the broken patent system. USA was just making themselves look bad. Patents for an unlock slider from destination Point A to Point B or a shopping cart feature??

Maybe Samsung are trying to get the US government in their back pocket so they don't have to go through with what they went through with Apple. It's about time they curbed patent trolling.

Yeah? And what else will he try hiding in it? I like the idea, but have no faith in him being honest...

I definitely support this bill. I hope it goes through unanimously. This will definitely help the consumer and save millions for other companies which should pass down to us.

I wondered what that sound I heard earlier was...it was the sound of congressional lobbyists' phones ringing, audible five states away.

Honestly Obama will do anything at this point if it distracts people from the IRS, EPA, Benghazi, reporter scandals and whatever else we don't know about yet...

I'm sure it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Google protecting Android, or Google's indirect competition with Apple. nah... Why on Earth would Google lobby the government to change the patent laws? hmmm

What hiding? Nothing is truly hidden in DC. People just fail to read what they sign.

I'm sure it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Google protecting Android, or Google's indirect competition with Apple. nah... Why on Earth would Google lobby the government to change the patent laws? hmmm
google is partners with the NSA Duh

Back