Oblivion Combat Lag - Please Help

By River01
Nov 16, 2006
  1. Heres my issue- When playing Oblivion, everytime a combat sequence is about to begin (an enemy enters the screen), my game gets very choppy/ laggy. I have looked all over the web for a solution, but havent found any yet. The problem is occuring in the underground cave areas of the beginning of the game, as I have not had a chance to get past that yet due to unplayable lag at key moments.

My specs are as follows:

Dell Dimension 9150
    Pentium Dual Core Processor 2.8GHz
    XFX Nvidia 7600GT 256MB PCI-E
    1GB Stock RAM (I believe the brand is ProMos)
    Creative Audigy 4 Sound Card
    ****ty Dell 15" LCD Analog Monitor (which probably wont effect game performance, but I want to make sure I list everything)

Thanks in advance for any and all help regarding this matter!

Oh and the RAM is DDR2 533MHz... Thanks!
  2. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

It's not your cpu, mobo or RAM. Oblivion is a system hog and even the high end machines will suffer from some lag with this game. You could up your RAM to 2 gigs (2sticks of 1024), but that will only help out a little. You could try to lower your system settings, but that really won't compensate too much for the lag.
  3. River01

River01 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the response... I think I'm going to throw in another gig of RAM as suggested. Right now the game has the settings at medium because it didnt recognize my card. Typically I wouldnt mind a bit of lag, but this lag comes right when combat is taking place (aka the worst possible time :) ).

I'm starting to wonder if it possibly has to do with the fact that I'm running it off my harddrive, but its on a SATA II 80GB drive, so I couldnt imagine it being an issue. Also, my friend is running it the same way without any issues.
  4. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

5. River01

Thanks for the link. That site is pretty nice!

I passed for everything, so RAM seems to be the only option.
  6. TimeParadoX

Good luck River... make sure you get the same RAM as the others because if you mix diffrent types your computer can BLOW UP! :hotbounce

( I dont know if it really would blow up but it will make your computer not run ;) )
  7. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

That happens to me in Oblivion too. It's fine (25FPS +) al the time with all high settings except when I'm in combat. Then it goes down to about 8FPS. The only thing I have been able to do to combat this is instead of playing it fullscreen 1280x1024, I play it at widescreen 960x600 which gives me about 55FPS constant and about 35 in combat.
  8. TimeParadoX

Yeah my resolution on some games like WoW are 1280x780 ( or something like that ) so I get pretty good FPS
  9. River01

Hehe thanks, I wouldnt want my PC blowing up on me! :haha:
  10. River01

Yeah its real strange, this is the only game I have experienced a problem like this with. I just ordered another gig of ram so I'll let you guys know if that helps at all.
  11. TimeParadoX

How much RAM did you get River? Oblivion is minimal ( not in system requirements but for enjoyment of the game ) is atleast 1.5-2gig of RAM, Anything befor that would be quite laggy and kinda annoying :(

Hope your system runs Oblivion great, If you have any questions on games and building a gaming system just send me a private message ;)
  12. River01

I got another gig of ram giving me 2gigs total. Taking forever to arrive tho (got it on ebay, b/c I'm cheap :haha: )

Thanks for all your help TimeParadoX! Its always great to find nice people on boards :)
  13. TimeParadoX

You're welcome River01! ;)

If you have any more problems just post in this topic or make a new one :D
  14. ChrisH78

ChrisH78 TS Rookie

After a long, long time without playing I decided to inmerse myself into oblivion again to find out that I have similar lag problems, lags when an enemy enters the screen and when an enemy dies.
    When I played this game in the past everything was perfect.
    I tried everything, graphic settings, clean boots etc, untill someone reminded me that when your graphic cards udates it doesn't uodates your codecs and that can create conflicts.
    Well a reinstall of all my codecs solved this problem and now the game is running smoothly.
    If you are having the same problem as I had but don't know how to manage the codecs I recomend u install K-lite codec package. And hopefully that will solve your problem aswell :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.