Oblivion is Crashing When it Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon95

Hi, I installed oblivion it worked fine, I clicked on the Icon that worked, the launcher worked too, then I pressed play and it has the window oblivion would play in was in the top left corner and an error report notice in the middle of the screen, it was mentioning my graphics card wasn't top notch for the game so it put it on medium graphics that was when the launcher had just come up though and then it was working fine then. I don't really know why though. If anyone knows I would be really grateful if they told me, thanks for reading this message, bye.

thanks a million but that is not quite what I'm looking for the error happens as soon as I press play I can't actually enter the game

Well, I would suggest you copy any save games to a folder you can find later, then uninstall the game, then clean up ALL your temp files everywhere and then empty your recycle bin and then defrag your comp.

Then download and install the latest drivers for your card and for DX9.

Then, set ALL your graphics to minimum on your card and reboot.

Then defrag again.

:)

Put the disk in the drive, when the start screen comes up, tell it to install. Many new games Uninstall if it's already installed.

the good news is oblivion uninstalled this time but the bad news is that I can't find my temporary files :confused:

1- Start Internet Explorer, click tools, internet options, then click delete cookies, delete files (check offline too) and clear history, one at a time.

2- Then click Start, programs, accessories, system tools, and then click Disk Cleanup and check ALL the boxes displayed (may take a couple min's).

3-Make sure your Trash Barrel is empty (recycle bin)

4-An additional thing you may want to do:

Remnants of an installation or patch are stored by Windows as temporary files, which can prevent the re-installation or starting of programs. These temporary files are normally created to temporarily store information in order to free memory for other purposes, or to act as a safety net to prevent data loss when a program performs certain functions. These temporary files however can trick an installation program into thinking that the propgram is already installed, or that a patch is installed when the patch has not been applied properly. Because this can cause complications, it may become necessary to delete these remnants to give your system a clean slate prior to launching or installing a piece of software.

To delete your Windows temporary files on Windows XP:

First you will need to delete the standard Windows temporary files:

Click on the Start button.
Click Run.

Type 'temp' into the available text field and click OK.

Click on one of the files in the folder that just opened, and press Ctrl and A to select all of the files in this folder.

Press the Delete key on your keyboard.

When prompted if you are sure, choose Yes to All.

Next you will need to delete your specific logins temporary files:

Click on the Start button.
Click Run.

Type C:\Documents and Settings\<Insert login name here>\Local Settings\Temp in the available text field and click OK.

Note : Be sure to specify your Windows login without the greater than/less than symbols.

Click on one of the files in the folder that just opened, and press Ctrl and A to select all of the files in this folder.
Press the Delete key on your keyboard. You may get a warning about the Perflib file if it isn't 'hidden' as it is in use - say OK. Then change its' properties to hidden and do this again.

When prompted if you are sure, choose Yes to All.

5-Assuming you are still in operation, defragment your drive.

6-Reboot.

IF you are logged in then yes.

Haha - you mean Windows?

Yes also, logged in or not.

error

i was deleting my username temp files and an error came up after about 19 were deleted I tried emptying my recycling bin that didn't work the error said: "Cannot delete Iadhide4:access is denied.
make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use" I know the disk is not full because it says there are 10Gigabytes left and I don't know what the other thing means, so I'm really confused.

Thankyou very much!

Thankyou very much for all your help I have gone through everything and it still doesn't work but I shall contact Bethesda and see if they know (they should do they designed the game :) ) I am gonna stop annoying you now see you later and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back