Oblivion registry missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cadexn

i lost my registry for oblivion! now i cant use the launcher (all buttons faded out except the link to their website) and need to play by directly using oblivion.exe

this is because i lost the CD and my comp needed to reformat. so i made a backup of Oblivion but ONLY the program folder, i forgot about the registry key. now i cant use any mod..

hope someone here kind enough to provide me with the registry in order for the launcher to work

Welcome to Techspot cadexn.

You`ll have to reinstall Oblivion,either by finding the CD,or by acquiring another.

Copy the following into notepad.
EDIT the INSTALLED PATH to the location of your install.
Save the file as oblivion.reg Double-click on the file to install it.
Play the game.
///start copy below this line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion]
"Installed Path"="C:\\Games\\Oblivion\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\1.00.0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion - Construction Set]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion - Construction Set\1.00.0000]

Yes that should work, If it doesnt you can call the Bethesda studio ( should be on your box or if you google.com their site ) and ask for help getting a new CD key, But you'll need the box to prove that you're the owner because they'll ask for a little key on back of box or something

Copy the following into notepad.
EDIT the INSTALLED PATH to the location of your install.
Save the file as oblivion.reg Double-click on the file to install it.
Play the game.
///start copy below this line

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion - Construction Set\1.00.0000]

That is correct but ill put it in plain english step by step. If you actually 100% missing the registry file then do this:

Click the start menu and click run

type in the box "regedit"

go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE"

Once here check...is there a key (looks like a folder) named "Bethesda Softworks"?

If there is your game should work and i cannot help you farther. if there isnt continue reading.

If there isnt, look back up the list in the regedit and where the SOFTWARE key/folder thing is right click it and choose new, then scroll over and select key.

When the key is created name it "Bethesda Softworks"

Then do the same like before with SOFTWARE but this time with your newly created key named "Bethesda Softworks" , right click it and make another new key and call it "Oblivion"

Now, click on "bethesda softworks"

At the top where it says "file" click that and choose export making sure that the "bethesda softworks" folder is selected beforehand.

Now when you go to save it, name it as "Oblivion.reg" and make sure the file type is a .reg file.

Now find where you saved the file (Saves to the "Documents" folder by default for me)

Right click on your newly made file and choose "Open With"

Look through other programs instead of the registry editor and find "Notepad"

Now it will open and should come up with a few lines that say something kind of like this (I did this before so whats in the file may not be exact but as long as it looks alike you will be fine) :

=================

=================
If it looks something like that, GOOD. Now inside that remove ALL the text thats in there and replace it with this:

=================

=================

Save the file by clicking "File" and then "save" , it should overwrite with no problem.

Now go back to the registry editor and click "Bethesda Softworks"

Go back to the top where it says "File" but this time choose "Import"

Import the oblivion.reg file you made from wherever you saved it. Once its done importing close the registry editor and start up the oblivion launcher. All the greyed out options will not be greyed out anymore. if they still are then read through this tutorial again and CLOSELY READ EVERY WORD and then repeat it again. if it doesnt work after that i cannot help further.

Hope i helped you!

Zealot :D

Yeah, so I did this and I kept on editing the Installation path. I decided to just try not editing the install path. It worked! I dont even have a C drive but it works with that install path for some reason. Ah well, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back