TechSpot

Oblivion: Should I buy it or not?

By Dennis_84
Apr 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, guys. I have a question about the game Oblivion. I know lot of people are talking about the game that it's a really good game and must buy and all that. But I have never ever played any RPG game in my life, and I have no idea how rpg game works. But I am interested in playing Oblivion so how hard is it to learn playing rpg game? So should I buy ovlivion or not? Thanks for your help.
  2. sjps220

sjps220 TS Rookie Posts: 129

I hadn't really played any RPGs until I played The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (the game that is before oblivion in the series) and I loved that game so much. It got me hooked. I love the freedom they give you. I played at the same time as a friend of mine, and it was like we were playing two totally different games. Our experiences were so different. He was a stealthy wood-elf in the thieves guild and I was a sword wielding imperial in the fighters guild. He stuck to the cities and I ran around in the country. We'd try to talk about the game, but we hadn't seen any of the same things! The main quest is only a small portion of the game, and when not doing it, you can basically do whatever you want.

Oblivion is a very demanding game in terms of hardware, but if your system can run it, I would say go for it. I bought it and I'm still just getting started, but I'm having a great time.
  3. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

It's a fun game, but as already mentioned- it does require a modern to semi-modern PC, so be sure you have a PC powerful enough to play it first.

As far as RPG's go, there is really nothing difficult to them. You make a character, pick gender, race and appearance.. then pick what you want them to be, like a fighter/warrior, magic user, wizard, rogue, assassin, ranger/archer or any combination of things. These determine how you play your character- be it swinging a sword and shield with heavy armor, or ducking back in cloth while casting fireballs, or sneaking around in the shadows backstabbing.. or using a bow & arrow... etc.etc.

From there, it's all about exploring a rich, beautiful, HUGE world.. getting involved in story/plot elements, taking on quests/doing things, and building up your character. As you play, you get experience, your character grows stronger and gets newer/better gear and access to new abilities as he/she grows.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.