Oblivion & Vista please help a chica out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there everyone! I'm very new to the community (a young, innocent 5 minutes old to this group) and desperately need some help before this laptop that i'm typing on is tossed. So here's the issue:

I had an old pc with pentium 4, 512mb and a decent graphics card (good enough) and was able to run Oblivion with enough satisfaction. I just got a new toshiba Satellite A135-s4427 with windows vista and can not run the game at all. It installed fine, but right at start up and initially pop up it closes and says "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly" Is it vista compatibilty issue? is this graphics card that comes with this not good enough? Please help, not too tech savy but i love to play these games. THANKS FOR ALL WHO HELP!!!!

ah yes i have a vista home premium system i get the same problems, try running the programs in compatibility mode right click>properties>compatibility
try running it in compatibility for win xp sp2...

thank you for replying. I have it in windows xp service pack 2 and i'm still getting the same message. it's just so frustrating :(

try to go down to windows 2k

if this doesnt work i dont know what else to do, im learning vista as i use it. max payne and max payne 2 did the same thing to my on my vista and xp systems so i gave up on them, have you installed all patches and updates?

Thank you very much for the help, i'm at work now, so later tonight i'll give the latest patch downloads a whirl and see what happens.

I am not sure how well the game will run on a Intel GMA 950. But I am pretty sure it will still at least start up.

I have done a little reading and no one seems the have any problems running the game in vista.

I guess patch it up and hope for the best.

I don't think the game would be anywhere near playable on a GMA950. Even at minimum settings it would probably have ungodly amounts of lag.

not enough ram
not enough video card ram as well ;[
upgrade your memory ram to 1 gig and you won't have that error.
also u might wanna update your direct X too.

ps. whats your total video card mem?

I'd say it is probably the graphics card that isn't supported.
I can run it on my laptop using oldblivion but it the graphics won't be nearly what they should be.
Still, it is better than nothing.

Thanks everyone for your help! I do appreciate it, but I am a little confused ( sorry for such the novice-ness). Someone said to update to one gig, this laptop is equiped with one gig of ram, a higher processor than my cpu, and the description says this graphics card is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 capable of graphics-intensive games....(probably a fancy way of saying this can't handle crap) so i'm left stranded on where to stand. I'm patching the latest patch which is taking an eternity and if that fails, I reckon (Yes, that's right, I say "reckon") I will call this game quits and move on to the next. Let me know please if i'm missing anything and i really do thank all yall!!!!

...Yeah, patch didn't do poo. GGgggggrrrrrrrrr. :( Seriously, why is this so hard? I thought all the new, user friendly, new age crap was suppose to be easier? what a great game :( guess i'll enjoy it at home only

In Reply to your Vista Problem.......

Unfortunately Vista is very one track minded when it comes to the older games. If it isn't VISTA compatible then it WON"T run, Sorry but I still haven't found a cure\patch that will allow Vista to run the pre 6month Vista release yet. Sorry again, I reconmend installing WinXP Media or Professional and DL sp2&3 and it will slove all the issues you will have in the future... I know because it work for me, untill the Sims2 crapped out....Got it going now so no worries...... sorry again.
Lloyd:}

So, I know this an old thread, but I was searching for help on the same Vista/Oblivion issue and and I ran across it... anyone ever figure out how to solve this problem?

Yes, most laptops have Integrated video and Oblivion requires Hardware T&L and higher direct3d shaders than most integrated video supports.

As mentioned prior, there is a 3rd party patch called Oldblivion that allows users of some older, unsupported videocards to play Oblivion. It's not supported by Bethesda but can work for some people with laptops or older 3d cards.

CountryBoy said:
Unfortunately Vista is very one track minded when it comes to the older games. If it isn't VISTA compatible then it WON"T run
Oblivion works in Vista just fine.

It's probably just the Intel's graphics drivers that are different in Vista and XP.

well guys im running into the same problem with oblivion crashing before it even loads... i know im a little late on posting but i was wondering if anyone could throw some help my way!

I keep getting the error "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_27.dll was not found"..

Im running Vista Ultimate with a Q6700 processor overclocked to 3.4Ghz, 4 gigs of Ballistix ram, and an 8800 gts 640.

any ideas? thanks!

And oldblivion still lets you put your settings to max and stuff, just you don't get a nice pretty moving background and besdasoft works intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back