OC a 1.7Ghz to 2GHz+...Which cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

I know there is another post similar to this one, but this one wont be so broad. Im hoping to OC my XP2100(1.73ghz) to 2Ghz or more. I was thinking about one of these coolers:

Alpha PAL8035
Thermalright AX-7
Thermalright SK 7/SLK800 (which is the latest? Im a bit confused)
Swiftech MCX462-U w/ Thermaltake 80mm Smart Fan II

Which would you say would be the one to get? BTW, what are shims for/what do they do?
Thanks!

Thermalright SLK-800, most definitely.

Shims help you from cracking/chipping/breaking the core of your CPU. They offer no special thermal conduction.

Really? I thought a Swiftech MCX462-U w/....would give best results. Its way up there with the Alpha. However I dunno about this SLK800 dude. =/

You reccomnend getting a shim?

Nope, I'm serious, the SLK-800 outperforms both the Swiftech and the Alpha. It is the best cooler for Socket A in existence. Trust me!!!!

If you think you might mess up during installation. Shims have no real value beyond the installation. Sure, get one, it's $3 insurance.

OK, I will, cuz i've never put on a HS before. My dad did the last one, but hes no pro either...=/ Better not break my CPU.:mad: <I would be very mad!

The performance differentials between the three top coolers today, the Thermalright, Alpha, and Swiftech, are pretty minimal. You can't go wrong with any of them. Although the Thermalright does have the best performance, the fact that it uses a clip is it's Achilles Heel. For safer installation, and a securer fit, I would reccomend getting a HSF that uses the four screw holes to each side of your socket, like the Swiftech or the Alpha. The one thing I displease about them is that you have to remove the system board to install it. Although you only have to do it once, so if you install it then decide to swap CPU's, you can just take the heatsink off without any worries or sysbo removal.

Bah get any one of those three that you would like. Really, the performance differentials are miniscule.

Be sure to get Arctic Silver 3, and apply it sparingly.

In this case, your system board will likely be the limiting factor in overclocking. I doubt you will even reach 2GHz.

And I'm not kidding when I say the SLK-800 is the best cooler.

Well, my card wont be the K7S5A at the time, it'll be this(board on the very bottom of the page):
http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/pgrab/fp_59073

Nice article! So SLK-800 it is.....but what do you think about those clips. Since it will be hanging of my mobo sideways, couldnt it fall off easily?....really easily? Cause that would be something important to think about.:blush:

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Nice article! So SLK-800 it is.....but what do you think about those clips. Since it will be hanging of my mobo sideways, couldnt it fall off easily?....really easily? Cause that would be something important to think about.:blush:

I wouldn't worry too much about those clips... I've got a Zalman Flower, which has a weight of around 0.5kgs, and it's secured with a single clip.... Never had any problem with it :)

The only reason the clip could cause you a problem is if the "nipples" on the mobo cracks.... But since it uses all three of them (and not just one like my flower), it's quite safe...

Enjoy your new cooler :)

OK, thanks MrGaribaldi. However I must buy it before I can start to enjoy it =/. Do you have a case window, or a "dead silent" PC? Because I've read about the flower and its no overclocking tool. Its pretty, and silent, but cant o/c well at all. Just wondering....

OK, thanks MrGaribaldi. However I must buy it before I can start to enjoy it =/. Do you have a case window, or a "dead silent" PC? Because I've read about the flower and its no overclocking tool. Its pretty, and silent, but cant o/c well at all. Just wondering....

Well, good Q... I just use it as a hsf combo in my 'puter...
I've not bothered to do any mod or anything...

As for oc'ing, I can use it for oc'ing a bit, as it takes quite a lot of heat before it'll move above 60C...
I've taken my 1400Mhz to 1500Mhz without any probs...

But for now I've decided to stick with stock speed... But next year I might just change my hsf and oc the h**** out of this cpu...

I would love to get 2nd from the top, but simply cannot afford it(Im a kid, without a job, which means B-Day & XMas is my only income). That would be a $95 mobo including S&H. Which really isnt too bad, but then I have to buy some DDR RAM, so you can pitch in another $80/100 there. The machine is already running bout $450, and thats with my and my bro splitting the cost...Sorry "Romoonday", no can do =/. I just hope the mobo I bought, is an ok oc'er. (It seems I always get screwed over somewhere along the lines of building a PC).
Good day everyone! (All my parts will arrive this monday, except case :grinthumb Cant wait for the GF4!)

I would love to get 2nd from the top, but simply cannot afford it(Im a kid, without a job, which means B-Day & XMas is my only income).

I remember those days well. Although now I have a job and could theoretically afford these things, bills and the like make it hard. But as your computer experience grows, and times goes on, you acquire these things anyway.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
But as your computer experience grows, and times goes on, you acquire these things anyway.

I dont quite understand this....could you clarifiry?

I dont quite understand this....could you clarifiry?

I mean as you grow older and more in tune with the computing industry you tend to get these things for nothing or get jobs where these things are easy to get a hold of. time goes on and you tend to get hold of these things whether you can afford them or not. this will take time so don't expect it to happen tomorrow....

money starts to become less the primal factor and the actual technology becomes more important. i have probably given away your entire machine this year. this is not meant in offense. its a mere fact of life.

i have not paid for my last 9 upgrades. Begged. Borrowed. Stolen. Assimilated. Given as a sample. if you stick in at the same business, the same will happen to you to.... lets leave it at that.... ;)

i can't say at my present being that i have a machine that represents the apex of technology because it isn't... and it doesn't need to be for the things I need it to do....:evil: But I get kept up to date not by monetary force but by the need to have these things....

Cool - Time is money!

No.

Enthusiasm. Time. Pure passion, obsession, pure zeal will. If you give yourself over to computing as a passion for life it will.....

Well I probbly will because I plan on being a grad. of RH(Rose Hallman), and becomming a Computer Engineer. I also have a few web sites(which I make with Frontpage2000), and recently won a National award in the web site catorgory(out of the entire country, my team won(I was the leader on the team, and it consisted of me and about 3 other guys)).:grinthumb

Well I probbly will because I plan on being a grad. of RH(Rose Hallman), and becomming a Computer Engineer. I also have a few web sites(which I make with Frontpage2000), and recently won a National award in the web site catorgory(out of the entire country, my team won(I was the leader on the team, and it consisted of me and about 3 other guys)).:grinthumb

Congrats!
Care to share the url with us?

Veh> Even if it doesn't take much to use Frontpage, you need skill to win an award with it...

Besides, I've seen plenty of sites handcoded which looked like s****...

Well personally I think the site is terrible, but because It had a half decent layout, and lots of depth it won. Also, it may take a LONG time to load unless you have DSL or cable, because it was made to be viewed offline, untill we had to put it online(oh yea, its made to be viewed at 1024x768, and the guy on the right looks terrible cuz that pic was taked at about 1AM the night before one of the competitons - lol):
http://www.btvcentral.com

Im going for the win again this year, but going solo, heres what this years it looks like so far:
http://www.geocities.com/worldmx2000

Here is what it will look like eventually:
http://www.geocities.com/worldmx2000/index2.htm
Just with a ton of modifications at the top & left ;) .

Hey agissi - nice site, all 3 of them gave me an IE error. First one was the worst, closed all 5 windows I had running. Then I tried loading the 2nd one...it stopped responding and I had to Task Man it.

Did CoolerGuys mind that you "borrowed" their heading? And the title is a classic flamingtext.com.

And of course, all the images/buttons along the left column are red X's, and then, of course, I can't right click to "Show Image."

Oi ve.

I just tried to load it a 2nd time - Windows locked up completely.

Man I swear I never did anything to you! It's constructive criticism, that's all! :haha:

And one other thing - something I'll never be able to understand about you - the fact that you're spending $40+ on a HSF but are upgrading to SDRAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back