OC P4 2.8Ghz >> ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph30nIX

Hey guys.

I've run a p4 2.8Ghz at stock speed for around 2 years, but recently decided to add an aftermarket HSF combo. It is a Tt Big Typhoon which keeps the temp at around ambient temp, (i.e 16C in winter and 20-30C in summer), basically I want to know how far it can be pushed.

I only have a cheapo gfx card, but the mobo was decent at the time of purchase. Its currently running at 3.2Ghz, and has run Orthos for about 17hours or so. I decided to run 2 instances now and then run Prime 95 at the same time to stress the hell out of it.

I believe it has peaked at 40C now. How far do you think it could go, Im not particulary worried about loosing the PC, but the hard drive is required for other things.

Cheers,
Nic

You can go to the Intel Website and request all the specs of any of their cpu's. They can tell you how much faster it is made to go. I believe that most cpu's do have a cutoff frequency. That doesn't mean that for the sport of it you can't push it until is fries! Have Fun.

There is no real set speed you can push it to. The answer to your question is, as far as the combination of your processor, memory and motherboard will allow. Something will eventually stop your progress. Your chipset will not be fast enough or your memory will not go higher or your PSU will not be stable enough or your CPU will stumble or your cooling will not be enough. Any of the above can limit your overclock. You can always go to extreme measures to try to continue but that costs money and can be a real pain to operate and maintain.

If you want real performance you're going to have to build a new computer with ultimate performance in mind and then expect the new computer to work really well for two years or less. In two years your computer will be very good to average, but to get back to ultimate you will need to build another computer. Ultimate performance means no expense spared or really big bucks.

Well I found out the hard way, it doesnt really like going to 3.5Ghz.

The whole system crashed randomly and refused to boot. I managed to trace it back to my Primary Hard Disk, which when connected would no allow system to boot (would turn on but not POST, powert lasted about 2 seconds).

Now I decided to spare the expense of an external hard disk enclosue to attempt to backup, and I sourced a spare PSU. I use the jumper to power it up and now using it to power my hard disk. I can now use it normally but am Backing everything up to buy a new hard drive, just to much to risk.

I have always suspected a bit of a dodgy PSU, but the symptons werent bad enough for me to do anytihng about it as there was no real trouble, however now I think its time to fix it up properly.

At least I know 3.2Ghz is rock stable and my cooling could take alot more, but its bottle necks else where that are causing the problems.

At least the whole system didnt die as i just bought some new ram to help with a bit of performance.

Ph30nix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back