Occasional hic-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phacoid

Lately I have been suffering occasional hic-ups while playing games. At first it didn't annoy me so much but in Battlefield 2142 I constantly get thrown of servers when enduring such hic-up.

The problem is that while playing a game (NFS:MW, CSS, BF2142, WOW, ..) the pc suddenly freezes and the sound constantly repeats itself. This usually goes on for about 30seconds (roughly guessed). The funny thing is, this only happens once during the entire game. I never know when my pc will freeze for 30seconds, but once it's over it doesn't come back unless I shut the game down and start it up again or when I play another game.

Things I've tested:
- I have installed different drivers but the problem still occurs
- My DirectX is fully up to date
- I cleaned my entire computer (meaning I removed the dust inside of it)
- Cleaned my harddrives (as in remove useless crap and broken registery keys), and also defragmented my main harddrive

My system is as follows:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice (S939, 2.2GHz, 512KB, 400MHz Bus, 67W, Boxed)

CPU-Cooling: Zalman CNPS7700-Cu

Motherboard: Asus A8N-E, nForce 4 Ultra (Sound, LAN, SATA-RAID)

Ram: 2*512MB Kingston Valueram CL3

Graphics card: AOpen GeForce 7800 GT 256MB DDR3 256b (PCI-e, 2x DVI-I) Aeolus 7800GT-DVD256

Hard-drives:
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS, 250GB (7200rpm, SATA II, 16MB)
- Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600SD, 160GB (7200rpm, SATA, 8MB)
- Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 160GB (7200rpm, SATA, 8MB, NCQ)
- Western Digital WD800BB, 80GB (7200rpm, ATA100, 2MB)
- Maxtor L14M080, 80GB (7200rpm, SATA, 8MB, Retail)

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

I'm running Windows XP SP2. This is installed on one of the partitions of the WD Caviar SE16 (windows is on 100GB, the other 150GB is used for storage of games and dvds). The last thing I'll try if I can't solve it another way is format my computer, as I really don't look forward to install all my programs again and download all the updates and such.

I hope someone here is able to help me.

Google and get memtest and test your ram for at least 8 passes!!!!

Get speedfan from the downloads section and use it to monitor things for a while!!!!

It could also be caused bu malware so i recommend you read this - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html - and follow the instructions carefully!!!!

Hopefully something in that lot will help!!!!

rik said:
Google and get memtest and test your ram for at least 8 passes!!!!

Get speedfan from the downloads section and use it to monitor things for a while!!!!

It could also be caused bu malware so i recommend you read this - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html - and follow the instructions carefully!!!!

Hopefully something in that lot will help!!!!

I tried memtest, but I think I wrecked my cd. Loaded and burned the iso but my pc won't seem to start memtest. Boot priority is set right. Personally find it weird, although I did use a new burn program. Don't know if it created a boot cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back