Occassional "Disk Boot Failure"???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new computer that I put together myself from parts purchased at Newegg.com. It's all been working fine until a week ago when the following happened.

I booted the computer and the initial boot up screen said "PS/2 Mouse error or no PS/2 mouse present". Well, I don't have a PS/2 mouse so obviously there is no PS/2 mouse present... I said to continue and it started doing a memory check or something. I told it to skip the check and it then said "DISK BOOT FAILURE, insert system disk and press enter".

I found that the boot sequences in BIOS had all been adjusted to "Removables". I then checked out the "Hard Disk Priority" section and none of my drives were present (old one or new one).

My solution to this problem was to load default settings then let the computer reboot, which it does but on the old drive. It boots on the old drive because it can't read the new drive at this point for some reason. When I try switching the drive priorities prior to rebooting the BIOS reads the old drive but not the new one. Once my comp boots up to the desktop like normal, but on the old hard drive mind you, I restart, and then the new drive is read and I can switch the drive boot priorities so the comp boots from the new drive.

This process does not always occur when I boot the comp, probably about 1 in 6 boots or something. Any suggestions on what could be the problem.

Thanks

I'm using a WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 25G0B 7200 RPM SATA drive and a EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Mobo.

(Sorry about the novel :) )

Check the drive cables and power connectors. Make sure they are properly connected, and not loose. Some SATA cables are not made well and they come loose easily

A drive not being recognised at powerup, but being present at reboot points to a too slow POST - the BIOS checks for the drive before the drive itself has managed to start up.

See if you have a HDD startup delay setting in the BIOS. If you don't have that, let it do the long memory test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back