TechSpot

oc'ing a pentium d..

By demon406
Jan 24, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello,i have a pentium d 3.4ghz and i was wondering if i could overclock it to its max ? i knw pentium d sucks towards overclocking but still any possible way ? i am afraid to get it fried so i need some tips . here is my sys.
    motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G1975X Turbo
    ram:1GB DDR2 667 (PC 5400)
    graphic card: GIGABYTE 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II
    processor:Intel Pentium D 3.4ghz ( using stock fan )
  2. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,083

I wouldn't OC it on stock. What are you idle and load temps? If your idle is under 40, you maybe be able to squeeze it up to 3.6-3.7 area. Make sure you know what your doing though, and have the money to pay for a new one if it is ruined.
  3. demon406

demon406 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hmm so u suggest me not to oc it unless i get a cooler? my temp max is 28C ... i have a case fan tho 120mm.
  4. agi_shi

agi_shi TS Rookie Posts: 507

Unless you're using water-cooling or live in Antarctica, I'm 120% sure your max temp is much over 28C. Your software readings must be way off.

If you OC on stock voltage your temps will not [...shouldn't] change that much. So a super-mild (and useless) OC of 200MHz will most likely do nothing in either the temp or speed.
  5. HPCE_Larry

HPCE_Larry TS Rookie Posts: 189

what software are you using for measuring your cpu temp?
  6. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

It seems that overclocking a Pentium D would be pretty hard, though, as they run pretty hot. Unless you got a good cooling system or something.
  7. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 1,088

I guess its hard to get a D805 to 4Ghz, o wait it isnt :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.