OCing an Ancient CPU

By me(who else?)
Jun 13, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is just a little experiment I'm trying. I have some spare Super Socket 7 CPUs (Pentium Pros at various speeds) that I'm attempting to squeeze the highest clock speed out of. Using the Asus board on my second comp (see profile), I can get up to a 4x multiplier and 125 FBS. However, even with slot speed locked and a RAM divider in place, when running at 83.5 Mhz FBS, I suffer from frequent restarts until I raise my VCORE to insane numbers (like 3.5 volts). Does anybody have a way I could push this processor any further?
  2. Raiders

Raiders Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

old school socket 7's really dont offer much,,i also tried to OC the crap out of them ,,raising the core and throwing a mad big Heatsink on'm unless i missed something thats all you can expect.

Have a blast, after all you are OC'n antiques LOL
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

They're not insane for old CPUs. Even 5 volts was normal years ago.

The same techniques that are used in overclocking new CPUs apply for old ones too, better cooling & more voltage.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.