Oculus Rift PC bundle pre-orders open February 16, starting at $1,499

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Oculus VR on Tuesday announced the first batch of Oculus Ready PC bundles from hardware partners Asus, Alienware and Dell (the latter two are essentially one in the same as Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell but I digress).

Bundles will be available to pre-order starting February 16 at 8 am PST from Amazon, Best Buy and the Microsoft Store. Pricing starts at $1,499 which includes an Rift-capable computer and everything needed for the Rift (the headset itself, sensor, remote, an Xbox One controller and two games: EVE: Valkyrie Founder's Pack and Lucky's Tale).

Buying a bundle will result in a discount of between $100 and $200. Those that have already pre-ordered a standalone Rift will be able to purchase a discounted Oculus Ready PC by checking their order status and opting into partner offers. Discount codes will appear on order status pages on February 16.

Pre-orders will ship in limited quantities to select countries and regions starting in April (Best Buy lists a release date of April 23). Pre-orders for the standalone Rift opened on January 6 with the headset priced at $599, a bit more than most were anticipating. Those units are expected to ship to early adopters late next month.

For those that already have a Rift-capable machine, plan to build a new system or will be upgrading an existing computer, today's news is of little interest as Oculus announced recommended hardware specifications last May.

Permalink to story.

$1499?!! That's like $1450 too much for what I'm prepared to pay for VR, and I've tested the Oculus Rift gadget. Come on early adopters, if VR is ever to become mainstream it needs you... or rather it needs your money more than you. As for me? If it ever becomes mainstream then so be it and I'll eventually fork out for it. If it doesn't, tough, I'm not gonna die wondering.
I can already tell you that dedicated head mounted displays aren't long for this world, a cheap thing like Google cardboard using a smartphone is far more economically sensible and it won't be long before they're every bit as good as a dedicated HMD.

$1499?!! That's like $1450 too much for what I'm prepared to pay for VR, and I've tested the Oculus Rift gadget. Come on early adopters, if VR is ever to become mainstream it needs you... or rather it needs your money more than you. As for me? If it ever becomes mainstream then so be it and I'll eventually fork out for it. If it doesn't, tough, I'm not gonna die wondering.
I can already tell you that dedicated head mounted displays aren't long for this world, a cheap thing like Google cardboard using a smartphone is far more economically sensible and it won't be long before they're every bit as good as a dedicated HMD.

If you can buy a full pc with vr capable of playing high resolution games for $49 buy one now hell buy ten!

I did the breakdown of the oculus DK2 and the cost of parts was the same as what oculus were selling them (sure they may have made a discount on bulk purchasing). I am sure the retail one is making little to no money aswell.

If you can buy a full pc with vr capable of playing high resolution games for $49 buy one now hell buy ten!

I did the breakdown of the oculus DK2 and the cost of parts was the same as what oculus were selling them (sure they may have made a discount on bulk purchasing). I am sure the retail one is making little to no money aswell.
I was just alluding to the fact that paying $1500 for VR is not something I'd consider. $49? Yeah it would be nice but this is the real world.

I don't meet the minimum specs (acording to the rift checker) but I can run all new games at 60fps on ultra.
MSi GT72.

It's spec that will prevent it from being mainstream for the next 4 years

Sony/MS will win this war

I don't meet the minimum specs (acording to the rift checker) but I can run all new games at 60fps on ultra.
MSi GT72.

It's spec that will prevent it from being mainstream for the next 4 years

Sony/MS will win this war
Because your not just running 1080p @60Htz, its 1440P @90FPS

Oh and if anyone is interested I know how they are using the recommended i5/gtx970 when inside a game, I've noticed lately all the new unity vr games come with a new graphic setting called "vr optimized" which is in the middle, this is set so the devs know it will be playable on that equipment.

Just like all brand new technologies, pricing is ridiculous on release day. And this is BEFORE RELEASE DAY. Just let it become mainstream and watch the price fall and become more affordable. If they want it to be a success, they will need to price it according to the market. This would be the Ps4 and XBOX one owners so it should be less than $400 eventually. Besides, there are amazing normal games coming out for us to enjoy until then. Bigger tvs too!

Back