Oculus runs the risk of pissing off developers, investors by building its own motion controllers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

oculus gaming controller virtual reality oculus rift motion controller oculus vr

Fresh off the acquisition of Carbon Design (the company responsible for designing the Xbox 360 controller and the original Kinect), Oculus VR is hard at work on multiple motion controllers to be used in conjunction with the Oculus Rift according to people familiar with the development process as reported by CNET.

The fact that Oculus VR is developing its own motion controllers is seen by some as a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand, there's likely nobody better to develop accessories for the device than the people that built it. They know the hardware and software better than anyone else on the planet, period.

The problem, however, is that Oculus aren't the only ones building companion hardware for the Rift. By manufacturing its own hardware, Oculus runs the risk of upsetting the more than half a dozen companies that are also developing motion controllers for the wearable. These developers and early investors are among the biggest supports of Oculus VR, or in other words, not the sort of people you want to piss off.

The predicament is not all that different from what Microsoft experienced a few years back with the introduction of the Surface tablet. At the time, a number of manufacturing partners weren't very happy with the fact that Microsoft was intruding on their turf.

Acer was the most vocal of them all, calling out Microsoft on multiple occasions and even threatening to look for new partners. Of course, those threats fell on deaf ears as Microsoft is now on its third iteration of the Surface.

Permalink to story.

They don't exactly have a massive incumbent support market presence do they? 6 companies making motion control accessories for a dev kit?

Maybe Oculus sees this as a risk of fragmentation or quality and just want to polish the platform? If I were producing dev kits for a next gen VR experience, I'd want to make sure the product has a quality coherent experience. Motion controllers are a pretty integral part are they not?

Oculus runs the risk of pissing off developers, investors by building its own motion controllers
I'm neither developer no investor, but I'm pissed off anyway.

Last edited:
I'm just delighted we're able to casually say "piss off" in a news article.
How far we have come.

I can't be all that upset. After all, say they did use the kinect for things. A large part of the oculus ecosystem would then depend on Microsoft who is in the middle of a downsizing and probably won't keep up with support for kinect 2 for windows very well. Its not quite like a generic game pad that you just bind keys too if you want to use a third part one since it is quite a bit more involved id imagine.

Back