TechSpot

Oculus runs the risk of pissing off developers, investors by building its own motion controllers

By Shawn Knight
Jul 17, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Fresh off the acquisition of Carbon Design (the company responsible for designing the Xbox 360 controller and the original Kinect), Oculus VR is hard at work on multiple motion controllers to be used in conjunction with the Oculus Rift according...

Read more

2. turismozilla

turismozilla TS Enthusiast Posts: 66   +12

Getting greedy, aren't we? Gotta control it all? Right?

H3llion and trgz like this.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

They might be trying to make it as cheap as possible...

4. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,621   +376

They don't exactly have a massive incumbent support market presence do they? 6 companies making motion control accessories for a dev kit?

Maybe Oculus sees this as a risk of fragmentation or quality and just want to polish the platform? If I were producing dev kits for a next gen VR experience, I'd want to make sure the product has a quality coherent experience. Motion controllers are a pretty integral part are they not?

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,153   +1,427

I'm neither developer no investor, but I'm pissed off anyway.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    trgz likes this.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

All because you dont have one?

7. VitalyT

Very well may be, I'm not sure.

8. Capaill

Capaill TS Addict Posts: 290   +92

I'm just delighted we're able to casually say "piss off" in a news article.
    How far we have come.

9. VitalyT

How far are we yet to go? Enjoy! ;)

10. TheLastPanda

TheLastPanda TS Member Posts: 78   +10

I can't be all that upset. After all, say they did use the kinect for things. A large part of the oculus ecosystem would then depend on Microsoft who is in the middle of a downsizing and probably won't keep up with support for kinect 2 for windows very well. Its not quite like a generic game pad that you just bind keys too if you want to use a third part one since it is quite a bit more involved id imagine.