Odd Black Screen Bug

r3claimer

On windows startup, and randomly during computer use, the screen will go black and Ill hear the sound of a device being connected and disconnected (not always alternating) for a few seconds and the the screen will come back on. I've checked my video card and it appears securely in its socket, and the cable is fully connected, so I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. Any idea what the cause could be, or how I could diagnose the problem?

Edit: Found additional info by using the Event Viewer. Apparently when the screen goes black the Service Control Manager has anywhere from 3 - 10 events going on. Not sure why this causes the screen to go black, or why I hear a device disconnect/reconnect sound though.

Last edited:
Windows 7 64-Bit, Asus GTX 660. The event seems to only happen when the computer is coming from an off state (from off to on, or from sleeping to full on) or when the request to make a system change occurs, and not always then. It's not been so much disruptive with the system as it has been just plain weird.

Back