Odd crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HISRADEON9550

My friend is having a very odd problem with her computer.

Apparently, she has her computer freeze completely, making the mouse and keyboard just stop. Her computer then goes to a black screen, then a blue one, which informs her of a driver conflict. The screen says it's doing a Physical Memory Dump, and then freezes completely. She then does a hard reboot, and gets taken to a screen saying Windows was not shut down properly. When she tries to choose to boot it up with the Last Known Working Settings, her computer will freeze there. She tried going onto SafeMode, but, again, the computer crashes the same way. She finally gets her computer up, and working for a short time when she chooses to boot up normally.

I told her to look on Device Manager, see if anything had the yellow '!' next to it, and nothing. It's odd because it does say that there was a driver conflict, or along the likes of it.

Does anybody know what could be causing this, at all? She's done a Virus Scan, with no results. If anybody could identify the problem, it'd be a help.

For the record, she recently got the program IMVU, an online messenger. It didn't affect her until the updates it did though.

I'm really not at my peak of knowledge right now, I forgot most of what to do in such cases as finding the problem, as I've been having problems of my own, but, I do remember something called Mini dumps? I remember how a user on this board got me to send them to him, and he identified the problem for me. It'd be nice to know if this is possible on her system as well.

Thanks for all the help!

Something on the computer has gone bad. You may need to go back to basics to fix it. I would remove or unplug everything but the floppy drive (assuming she has one) one memory module, video connection, and power supply. If it doesn't boot, change memory module. If it doesn't work right then, it isn't going to work later.
If it does work with that basic set of PSU, floppy, memory, video, add one component, and go through it all again. When you get to the place where it doesn't work, you know you are almost on your way to fixing it.

Hmm, so, I should tell her to unplug everything and put it back piece by piece? She's not tech-savvy, and I doubt I could do it for her. Would there happen to be a way to check out what is going wrong by checking minidumps?

Well, you can if it is a software issue, but it sounds like hardware. You might want to call in a nuther doctor for a second opinion.

It almost seems software, is the problem. It said there was a driver conflict, and it only happened when a program was installed. Her computer was never upgraded, so, she only has one hard drive, precious little 512 RAM, and everything it came with. It's a vigrin computer.

I remember, I was getting a similar issue, and I sent somebody minidumps, they told me what the problem was and I could fix it. I'm almost certain its a software issue, but I know practically nothing of checking Mini Dumps and finding out whats wrong :\

I don't see it. Damage may have been caused by software, but it is not apparentlyere. A driver conflict is really a hardware issue, not windows nor software in the classic sense. I don't see anything in the many mini dumps you sent... except some errors related to graphics... which could be anything.

You need to go back to fundamentals, in my opinion, as described.

This is like looking for a dollar under the street light because it is easier to see. But if the problem is a graphics driver or other driver, you cannot find it with these mini dumps.

Have your tried reinstalling Windows in Repair mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back