Odd HD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 160GB SATA WD HD, I was running Windows XP Pro, left it on for a few days, came back to the Windows loading screen trying to load. After a long period of time it errors out and gives me the 'windows could not load properly menu'(with safe mode, and last known good config. options). I tried all the options, with no luck. Safe mode (in any form) locks up when trying to load gagp30kx.sys and then brings up the 'windows could not load properly menu' again.

I tried using my XP Pro installation CD, and got into setup, added the SATA drivers that I got from WD's site (pressing F6 to load the external drivers), however then when it came time to select the drive that contains the Windows installation, it didn't recognize any hard drives on the machine.

I went into the BIOS and made sure SATA drive recognition was enabled.

I tried using Bart's PE to check the drive for errors, and that as well didn't detect the drive at all.

The interesting part is that when I load the machine with no external disks, it attempts to boot into windows (but hangs at the loading screen) - meaning it recognizes the drive and furthermore that Windows is at least partially on there.

I have a feeling there may have been a power outage over the weekend which may have done something damaging to the drive on hardware level, but I am hoping for the best and that I'm just missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

go to bios disable stop boot errors except keyboard and mouse
look round its there
this is a soft issue on drivers
can try to try move the video card if you have one boot
wait a little bit shut off install card reboot
conflict some other program may have over wrote this driver
you may have done a upgrade and don't remem

I can't seem to find those options for turning off errors in the bios (there aren't too many options in the bios), the bios is American Megatrends v. 2.54 - I don't have another card to try to boot off another video card to test it either, but I'll try booting with no card and leave it for a while. The only upgrade I can think of is automatic windows update.

just about all bios's after 2002 have this option
go page by page, disable stop on error
I found some bios pdf's
but I lost one of my scsi drives that had acrobat have not replced yet

the infamous MS upgrades even MS can't rewrite there DLL's properly
last resort is a complete wipe
don't load the F6 drivers let it go see if it finds the drive
if it recognize , you can try repair or delete the drive and do reformat
then add the drivers on next boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back