1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd loop towards end of boot in w2k

By junja ยท 5 replies
Jan 16, 2008
  1. Good day all

My Win 2k hangs on booting. When it reaches "Recording your parameters", it starts looping indefinitely, every minute.

It's a problem mentioned in an earlier message with the same title as this one but there's no record of a solution.
    I've tried replacing my 3 user.dat files from a backup I made yesterday - one of them had an allocation error. (I've got 98 on the same disk and did a scandisk and surface check using that.)

I've tried a repair using the cd - but it made no difference.

Any ideas ?
    Having read the post above, I'll try replacing the registry files from the backup ..
    I can reinstall, I know, but I'm busy and the setup would take days of work to replace.
    Junja

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

This might be a problem related to the boot sector of your hard drive.
    Boot from the install CD and opt for repair - at the prompt run fixmbr - reboot.
    If that fails, using another PC, locate and download the makers diagnostic tools for the drive, install onto a floppy and boot from that. Run the diags and any fixes offered.
    If that fails, imho the best long term fix would be a reinstall once you have backed up your files.

3. junja

junja TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Thanks AlbertLionheart
    I've checked the partition - no problems.
    The problem occurs towards the end of booting, so the boot sector is fine.
    Junja

4. AlbertLionheart

Will it boot into safe mode? If so the problem is almost certainly a driver.

5. junja

junja TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

No, it won't - not even to the command line.
    I've bitten the bullet ..

Thanks all the same.
    Junja

6. AlbertLionheart

No worries - hope it all works in the end

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.