TechSpot

Odd loop towards end of boot in w2k

By junja
Jan 16, 2008
  1. Good day all

My Win 2k hangs on booting. When it reaches "Recording your parameters", it starts looping indefinitely, every minute.

It's a problem mentioned in an earlier message with the same title as this one but there's no record of a solution.
    I've tried replacing my 3 user.dat files from a backup I made yesterday - one of them had an allocation error. (I've got 98 on the same disk and did a scandisk and surface check using that.)

I've tried a repair using the cd - but it made no difference.

Any ideas ?
    Having read the post above, I'll try replacing the registry files from the backup ..
    I can reinstall, I know, but I'm busy and the setup would take days of work to replace.
    Junja

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

This might be a problem related to the boot sector of your hard drive.
    Boot from the install CD and opt for repair - at the prompt run fixmbr - reboot.
    If that fails, using another PC, locate and download the makers diagnostic tools for the drive, install onto a floppy and boot from that. Run the diags and any fixes offered.
    If that fails, imho the best long term fix would be a reinstall once you have backed up your files.

3. junja

junja TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Thanks AlbertLionheart
    I've checked the partition - no problems.
    The problem occurs towards the end of booting, so the boot sector is fine.
    Junja

4. AlbertLionheart

Will it boot into safe mode? If so the problem is almost certainly a driver.

5. junja

junja TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

No, it won't - not even to the command line.
    I've bitten the bullet ..

Thanks all the same.
    Junja

6. AlbertLionheart

No worries - hope it all works in the end

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.