Odd Noise inside my new PC; is it normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklogus

Hi all !
I just got my new PC. I am very glad with it, except by its "odd" noise... It looks like much more noiser than my "older" one...

Basic NEW PC Specs :
P4 3.0C
Asus P4P800-E
MSI 9800 PRO

Basic OLD PC Specs :
P4 1.6
Asus P4SDX
GeForce4 MX440

I am not sure, but it seems that the noise is from the CPU cooler, which runs at incredible speed (It's what looks like..)
So, I have 02 questions about this "problem":

1) Is it normal this noise (perhaps I am feeling strange because I am accostumed with my older one...)
2) If the answer above is YES, is there some way to become it a bit noiseless ??

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!!!

1) Is it normal this noise (perhaps I am feeling strange because I am accostumed with my older one...)

More than likely, the answer is yes. With newer systems, the processors are much hotter and need more air movement. It could be there are more fans or the fans are faster. This is usually dictated by the CFM and RPM, but fan design and materials will also be a factor.

2) If the answer above is YES, is there some way to become it a bit noiseless ??

Yes, many manufacturers produce quite fans that either move the same amount of air at lower RPMs, have a different blade material or design. You will need to verify the processor type to verify you have a fan approved for the socket and for the speed of the processor. If you get a fan that has a quiet mode, that typically means it will slow the fan down but if the processor is being heavily used will heat up. Here are some links that might help.

NOTE: You have a P4 Socket 478 (probably has a D Bracket)

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/

http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/usa_index.asp

Before purchasing, do a search on google for reviews. Do your research as it will save you a lot of trouble. These forums are a wealth of information.
Bug

Thanks a lot all you for your attention !!!
The noise seems to be from the CPU fan running at very fast speed (I have seen into my "MoBo utilitary", that its speed is of "around" 5.100 rpm - much more than my "old" PC (P4 1.6), which runs at around 3.300 rpm...)
I will try to see my MoBo features, and try to see if speed cpu fan control is enable... I just got my PC, and I dont know well it so far ....
Anyways, its an irritant noise, with comparison of my other PC.
Is the noise the "price" of speed?? Where is the tecnology?? My new PC has the stock cpu fan, which, I think, should be more silent as pattern... Does the Intel cant build its CPUs with noiseless fan?? Its not good have to spend additional money to buy something that SHOULD BE BETTER NATURALLY !
Thanks a lot for any additional help!

After reviewing your motherboard details on Asus website I found this information:

Q-Fan Technology
This unique technology intelligently and automatically adjusts CPU fan speeds according to system load and temperature, enabling users to work in a distraction-free environment with minimal noise.

Verify that the CPU fan in plugged into the CPU fan connector on the motherboard. Refer to the manual.

NOTE: When in the BIOS, don't adjust anything you are not familiar with as it can keep your system from posting or booting into windows. First consult your user's manual and if it still doesn't make sense, research on google or in the forums.

In the bios, under the Power and Hardware Monitor, you have the option to enable the CPU Fan Control. And then select the CPU Fan Ration. 11/16 is the lowest, quietest, and warmer system, 15/16 is the fastest, coolest, and loudest.

Let us know if you have any questions,
Bug

THANKS A LOT for your attention with me, BUG !!
Sorry for the time that you spent doing research for my question...
When I will have enough time, I will follow your advice and read my MoBo's Manual, in order to try enable this feature, which looks like interesting ...

Thanks again !!!

It is no trouble. I love to look this stuff up. Especially with companies I love like ASUS. Let us know if you run into any bumps or have any questions. That is why we are here.

Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back