Odd problem with my desktop Acer Aspire ATC-710

Hello,

I've been having this weird computer problem for the past few months, hopefully you can help me out. I have searched for people with similar problems, but unable to find any.

Last September, I purchased a desktop computer, an Acer Aspire ATC-710-EB61, with a Intel Core i5-6400 processor (Windows 10), from Best Buy. It worked pretty well for the first month, but one day while connecting my iPod Touch (4th generation, model #MC540C/A, version 6.16) to one of the two front USB ports (USB 3.0), my computer froze. I restarted it by holding down the power button. I tried reconnecting my iPod, and the USB wouldn't recognize it. I tried one of my USB flash drives, and the same thing. However, when I switched to the other USB port (the left one), it did read my iPod and flash drives. I tried looking for a solution instead of sending it to Best Buy. I use Troubleshoot, but that does not work. After a week or two, the front left USB port failed to recognize my iPod and flash drives. The USB ports in the back (USB 2.0) worked. Until they didn't.

I go to Best Buy so they can fix it for me. They return it and told me that they replaced the USB card readers and the motherboard. The computer works fine, and then it doesn't. One of the front USB ports fails, and a few weeks later, the second front port fails. It is around this time that I try the recovery disk on the front USB ports, and it is recognized! I try a corded mouse, and it works as well! The only thing that both have in common is that this is the first time that I have ever used these two items on this computer before. But all my other flash drives do not work. I send it to Best Buy, and they cannot find anything wrong with it. The USB ports all work. So they send it back to me without any work done to it.

I accidentally uninstall (instead of disabling) one of the USB drivers, and now all USB ports fail to recognize everything. Long story short, I try to reformat my computer and that doesn't work. And I lose everything on my computer. I send it to Best Buy, and they fix it. Every thing is working out pretty well. A month later, I connect my iPod with the front left USB port, and the whole computer freezes. I hold the power button and let go. I wait a moment to turn it on, but nothing happens. I try again, and nothing. The computer refuses to turn on. Normally there is a green light in the back that is always on, but now it's off. I try various things (unplug and plug it back in, plug directly to the wall, etc...) I send it back to Best Buy. According to their notes, they replaced the mother board and the USB card readers. Again.

One month later, I connect my iPod and the computer freezes. I wait a little longer than last time before trying to turn on the computer again. When I turn it on, it is working. And so are both front USB ports. A week later, it freezes and this time I am not so lucky. The front port that was connected to the iPod no longer works. Another week later, I turn on the computer and the other front port just doesn't recognize my iPod, phone or flash drives.

That was last week.
The front ports no longer recognize the "new" mouse that once worked before. The recovery disk works on one port, and not in the other. So far, the USB ports in the back are still working.
So anyone hear about anything like this? Obviously, it appears to be something wrong with my iPod. Is it because it is too old? Is it a conflict between Microsoft and Apple? Maybe the flash drives are old and incompatible with USB 3.0?
I am afraid of going back to Best Buy and asking for a new computer only to have the same thing happen again. I already have had 3 different motherboards since September

Note: If I have my iPod off, and connect it to the malfunctioning front ports, it will turn on, but it won't charge.
If I connect the port to my phone, it will charge, but I cannot transfer files to the computer.

Thank you

It's not sensible to keep plugging in the iPod to your usb3 ports as it looks like this is causing your problems. I'd buy a usb2 powered hub and be sure to connect usb 2 devices through that only. It's cheap enough to be worth a try. You'd expect the usb 3 connections to be backwards compatible with usb2 but things don't always go as expected. Are there no usb2 ports on the Acer desktop?

T
It's not sensible to keep plugging in the iPod to your usb3 ports as it looks like this is causing your problems. I'd buy a usb2 powered hub and be sure to connect usb 2 devices through that only. It's cheap enough to be worth a try. You'd expect the usb 3 connections to be backwards compatible with usb2 but things don't always go as expected. Are there no usb2 ports on the Acer desktop?

Thank you for your response.
There are USB 2 ports in the back, which is what I am currently using.
The first time things went wrong, the back ports died as well. So far that hasn't happened yet.

I'd go with buying a powered usb2 hub. You can plug it into a rear usb2 socket and attach it with double sided tape to the top of the tower. Stick some tape over the front ports until you get into the habit of using the appropriate ones. They should be fine if you have one of the newer usb3 memory sticks but otherwise leave well alone.

Last edited:
Back