TechSpot

Odd problem with the boot routine of Win XP Pro; any hint, please??

By franklogus
Jul 23, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have just installed a new HD on my PC, and some programs, also ... I dont know why, but, now, every time I need to reboot my PC, the system (WIN XP PRO) begins to make a "consistency checking" (Blue screen), of my SECUNDARY HD (NOT my MAIN HD) ... I have already used the Windows System Restore (perhaps some problem with any program I installed), but nothing changed ...
    What is really mysterious is that WINDOWS always makes the analysis and it NEVER founds ANY "error" with the HD (it seems that there is a "new routine", which determine that its ALWAYS necessary to do this "checking" (Secundary HD) every time the PC Boots/Reboots ...
    Any hint about to do to solve this odd problem (it takes some precious time for waiting..), please??
    Thanks a lot in advance for any help!!
  2. Goalie

Goalie TS Rookie Posts: 703

Try:

Open a registry editor and navigating to the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\
         Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

sub-key. Change the entry to reflect a value of:

autocheck autochk *

Your system should now bypass the test at startup. However, backup your registry just in case.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.