TechSpot

Odd RAM and boot issue

By WONDERGG
May 13, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. So I've added a new PSU to my setup, which works relatively fine. I however, stumbled upon this very odd issue.

If I start my PC, it works fine. If I restart my PC, it works fine. If I shut down my PC however, I will need to either demount or mount a ram stick for it to boot again. This has to be done every time I shut down my pc, which I can't image is healthy.

I have a hunch I need to fix this through my BIOS, but I'm not sure. What's your thoughts?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Check in the bios to see that all the RAM is being detected...

3. WONDERGG

WONDERGG TS Rookie Topic Starter

They are

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"I will need to either demount or mount a ram stick for it to boot again"... You mean remove a RAM stick and then re-install it? Any stick or the first, if you have more than one stick installed?

5. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,661   +311

You seem to be having all the fun these days..

First, check current BIOS and note settings (I write mine down in my manual - in pencil).

With motherboard manual in hand to check BIOS elements and guide you around the board:
    - reset CMOS
    - start system and go ASAP to BIOS
    -"load optimal defaults"
    - "save & exit"
    - see what happens (it may not recognize drives if they were AHCI and not IDE, etc)

- restart system and go ASAP to BIOS
    - revise BIOS to better reflect your system (like no PS/2 keyboard, disabling the serial port, etc, etc)
    - "save & exit"
    - see what happens

This should work for BIOS issues in the event that replacing/removing RAM was forcing some sort of reset.

If you have to remove or add RAM to get it to boot, then I'm wondering if there is a cracked solder joint or some other physical damage.