Odd system overheating issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SittingDuckie

Hi,

I recently stress tested my system using BurnInTest software to check it out. Its a newly built system, specs available. During the test, I used the latest version of Fan Speed to monitor the temperatures. I tested all aspects of the PC on full-load. The temperatures on all four of my cores was up at 80 degrees. On switching off the tests, the temperature dropped to 40 on all cores in a matter of seconds. My scythe-ninja (rev B with 120mm fan) was cool to the touch throughout.

Is this normal? Feels odd, as surely if the heatsink wasn't taking away the heat, then the system would be above 40 at idle and wouldn't cool so fast? Yet if it is connected properly, why does the temp go as high as 80 and why does it feel cool to touch?

Thanks

80C would be hot to the touch... Speed fan is not compatible with your CPU or your motherboard. Ignore the false readings

Thanks Tmagic. Any ideas how I can actively monitor my system temperatures? I've got this ai suite thing, but each time I try to launch the application called 'ai suite' nothing happens. Process appears in the task manager, but thats the only sign of anything running at all. I've tried versions 1.03.13 and 1.03.15, same thing. Was going to try updating BIOS version, see if that helped. What do you think?

Unless your system exhibits freezes or restarts, there is no reason to monitor your system's temps. I have tried to use Speedfan and other monitoring software, and like you, some of the readings just don't make any sense. Good luck with your system and happy computing!

temps are C, but I re-run the stress test and then rebooted into bios to check temp there, temp was at 54 degrees C. heat sink was still cool to touch. My system specs r avail in their rightful place.

zipperman said:
C or F temps.What MBD do you have? asus has Probe for testing.
80 C is HOT

Yes Zipperman 80C is hot to the touch. If you read closer, SittingDuckie said the "false" 80C heatsink felt cool!

There's no further need for temp testing on his system

Yeah the speedfan readings were wrong, nowhere near what was given on the BIOS.

If there is 1 worry at the back of my head its that a Q6600 should be running a bit cooler than 54 with the scythe ninja and two 120mm fans on it.

Re topic title.System overheating.
Is it the Motherboard ?
Some can run hot.asus says that mine can be 65 C for my model.
What temperature are you referring to ?

Re topic title.System overheating.
Is it the Motherboard ?
Some can run hot.asus says that mine can be 65 C for my model.
What temperature are you referring to ?

motherboard temp is at 30C so thats fine. Does seem my processor is running above what it should, but I guess 50 odd is fine so I'll probably just leave it unless I get problems.

That's fine SittingDuckie,
My ZeroTherm Nirvana might just be a little more efficient. My case may be larger too. It 's a full tower[

Guess so, my antec 900 shouldn't have a problem but i probably put too much thermal paste on. I haven't read up on it, but I'd guess efficiency drops with more thermal paste you add as liquids are generally less conductive than solids? Don't know what was going through my mind at the time I applied it....Don't fancy re-doing it and reconnecting the scythe though, those pins are a pain to get set properly.

Yes SittingDuckie,
people do tend to put too much compound between the CPU's die and it heatsink. The excess squeezes out the sides of the CPU and it usually doesn't pose a problem, unless it shorts out the motherboard. I have seen some pretty messy CPU's and heatsinks. There has been thermal paste all over the motherboard, but it still worked!

Warning sounds ?

SittingDuckie said:
motherboard temp is at 30C so thats fine. Does seem my processor is running above what it should, but I guess 50 odd is fine so I'll probably just leave it unless I get problems.
Do you have an option sound to warn you of overheating ?
If the bios temps say OK,then everything is OK.

I assume there is something set as default in the bios somewhere, I had a quick look but couldn't find any option to manipulate this or any mention of it tbh

There are default settings in the bios for detecting high damaging CPU temps, so don't worry. Temps in the 50C range are good. Start worrying at ranges in the 70 or 80C ranges

Ack,

I downloaded ASUS PC Probe II monitor. Initially it said the temp on the CPU was 35 C. When I put it under load (from BurnInTest) the CPU temp rose to 70 C in a minute and stabilised at 70. Dropped quickly to 35 again after the test was stopped.

Now PC Probe II is compatible with my motherboard so thats not an innacurate reading. A friend said he tried BurnInTest on his system and it didn't raise his cpu temp more than 5 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back