OEM system builder software

Status
Not open for further replies.

resu

I was looking on ebuyer.co.uk today and i have decided to give my old system an upgrade before i may the leap to a pci-e and 64 bit system. (i know i shouldve built a new system alread y but im waiting for the new gta etc :D)

anyway i like my old rig:
3200xp (OCed)
1gb ram
180x2 hdd
5200fx gfx card (AGP)

ive found a nice 7800gs 256mb AGP card goin for £89 so im gonna buy that
and i was looking at finally geting a legit OS for it ;)
i found Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 SP2B (Release 2) OEM 1PK CD for £70 and as my lappy is running MC and i love it
i would love to turn my desktop into a media center eventually once i build my new gamer machine :D

anyway with regards to OEM system builder software: someone has told me that unless i am a registered system builder i will have no support with this software...? im not really to fussed about teh support because i think i can handle windows now :p
but i was also told if its not registered with a system builder then i dont qualify for MS downloads i.e media player 11, OS updates and service packs!

i just want to know is this true?

i mean it seems ridiculous that i can buy the software without having to be registered but i cant actually use it legally !?! :(

i hope this whole thing isn't true because i don't wanna be spending loads more on a retail edition OS :mad:

thanks for your time

Hum. And how would the user be able to download the updates once they have bought their system from the builder?

i dunno lol
i spose the builder registers it and so the end user doesnt have to do anything after buying?

do you think i can prolly buy and update etc as usual then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back