OEM-type images

Status
Not open for further replies.

truflip

what can I use to create "recovery dvd's" like the ones that HP and Dell provide? it pretty much installs the OS using the OE key and then the preinstalled programs like office trial, toolbars etc...

I'd like to create a similar recovery dvd but with our own software and settings etc.. then deploy it on brand new laptops and desktops.

System Builder Licensing
Q. Can I create my own recovery disks and sell these with the computer systems that I build? I have heard that direct OEMs can do this, so why can't I?

A. No. System builders may not offer a recovery solution with removable media (e.g., a recovery CD) because it is prohibited by the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. A full version of the Windows operating system is provided on a hologram CD in the Microsoft System Builder pack for each end user, and the CD must be transferred to the end user at the time of distribution. The hologram CD acts as the recovery media.

However, system builders can offer a hard disk recovery solution in addition to, but not as a replacement for, the hologram CD. Third-party software companies can also help system builders do this. Learn more about the legal, licensing, and technical requirements for this type of hard disk-based recovery solution.

System builders are bound by the Microsoft OEM System Builder License, affixed to the side of the System Builder packs, which is different than the direct agreements utilized by direct OEMs. The licensing terms for system builders and large OEMs are different because they are designed to address the specific needs of each community. The right to create recovery media is limited to the OEMs with direct agreements; however, these OEMs are also bound by other contractual obligations. The OEM System Builder License is designed to make it easy for system builders to acquire and distribute genuine Microsoft software, and accordingly, its terms are different.
Q. Are system builders allowed to create a "ghost image" CD and ship it along with the system for OEM customers?

A. No. System builders may not offer a recovery solution with removable media (a recovery CD, for example)—it is prohibited by the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. A full version of the Windows operating system is provided on a CD in the Microsoft System Builder Pack for each end user, and the CD must be transferred to the end user at the time of sale. The hologram CD acts as the system builder recovery media.

Please refer to the preceding question for more information.

More info here:
http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=552816

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back