Office xp Installer has gone stupid!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mez

Hi, Can abyone help me with my Office XP? I have been having a few issues with my laptop and the latest seems to arrived since I used RegCure.
Now I log on to my laptop and am prested with the Installer tring to instal 'Fax cdr'. It asks me to insert the disc. (Which I don't have as the application came preloaded when I bought the laptop. Then a new box appears 'NET Frame' to advise that an unhandled exception occurred in a component or application.
I have to 'continue' or close the bow 30 or 40 times before it goes away and then it goes back to trying to instal and the cycle starts again. I am currently going into Task manager to end this task each time I log on to my comp. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Also... my updater is having problems uploading xp service pack 3.. I think this is related.
I look forward to a response.
Yours in anticipation
Mez.

First, what was the problem that required your use of RegCure?
What Fax CDR do you have?
We will perhaps need your computer brand and model to make recommendations. Were all of your microsoft updates installed? If you do not know, you can download the free and good Belarc Advisor at www.belarc.com.
You will likely need your Office XP install disc to do the updates. You can get your Office XP serial number by running Belarc advisor, then call Microsoft to order a replacement CD using the ID number... Cost is $11.95.
If you have the correct version of Windows XP, you can correct the problems you describe booting the disc to run R for "Repair"... but that will not work if you have only a recovery or restore disc from the computer manufacturer.
You may find that you must do a complete reformat and restore to get things back to normal... But other posters to this forum will have other good fixes.

there is no xp service pack 3 as I know of unless its one that installs all the xp patches. I think that regcure may have deleted some registry keys you need so it should have made a backup of the registry so if you can find it double click it and then click yes reboot and see if its better

also raybay the repair function on the disk requires you to know what files need to be replaced

XP Service Pack was released in March, 2004... and it is called a Service Pack on the disc Microsoft sent us... easy to find on the WXP site at Microsoft .
As for the files, the updater report, and the other error reports, tell her what her problems are. First, she has to have a full version of Windows XP.
With the info on the brand and model, we can tell her how to fix the rest of the problems, if they can be fixed.

Thanks for your esponses. aybay, The problem I had that made me use Regcure was a svchost using 99% of the cpu when I logged in. It was suggested that Regcure would fix this problem but it didn't. Further investigations have shown that Office 2003 had installed also. Not too sure what has happened there but |I know I didn't install. I have an automated updated for Microsoft apps and it keeps showing that I have 2 updates waiting to be installed. I have checked these and that is where the Office xp service pack 3 is waiting. However, I checked my update history on the microsft updates page and can see that fo the past year I have had updates for xp and then on the 7th mach the updates changed to office 2003. This is either the cause of the issue or a result of. I am using a Sony vaio laptop.

Not sue if you will be able to see this but this is the link to my update history.. http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Chamillitary, I have restored the reg but still not fixed the issue. Not sue what else to do. I will attempt the estore if there are no other suggestions but i was hoping this would be a last resort. If anyone is able to give me anymore advice I would appeciate it.
Thanks
Mez

Thanks for your esponses. aybay, The problem I had that made me use Regcure was a svchost using 99% of the cpu when I logged in. It was suggested that Regcure would fix this problem but it didn't. Further investigations have shown that Office 2003 had installed also. Not too sure what has happened there but |I know I didn't install. I have an automated updated for Microsoft apps and it keeps showing that I have 2 updates waiting to be installed. I have checked these and that is where the Office xp service pack 3 is waiting. However, I checked my update history on the microsft updates page and can see that fo the past year I have had updates for xp and then on the 7th mach the updates changed to office 2003. This is either the cause of the issue or a result of. I am using a Sony vaio laptop.

Not sue if you will be able to see this but this is the link to my update history.. http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Chamillitary, I have restored the reg but still not fixed the issue. Not sue what else to do. I will attempt the estore if there are no other suggestions but i was hoping this would be a last resort. If anyone is able to give me anymore advice I would appeciate it.
Thanks
Mez

Hi,

Turn off your automatic updates and your system should be running smoother.
the svchost.exe taking up 99% resources problem is occurring because of a buggy windows patch. (people at my school are getting it too)

Try installing this updater.

next, reinstall KB927891 here

I hope this helps your problem.
PS: uninstall and delete anything related to RegCure. It is a rogue program that installs adware on your system.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

All, Thanks for your help. I managed to find a copy of xp office and tried the repair option as I foind my key code in the documentaion that arrived with the laptop. This seems to have worked. Later when I logged in again it updated with 21 updates so I think all is about where it should be now. However, I have now tried to set up an email account with outlook and all seems fine until I do a 'send and receive'. All I get from this is an error to say 'Operation failed'. If I go to the control panel and click the support info I get the details with a message that says 'if this program is not running properly I can reinstall by pressing the repair option.

Should I just remove the apps completely and reinstall??? Will I lose any work? Will this resolve my prblem or is this a drastic option for ma minor issue???

Mez

I would first download the Office XP service packs. There were three, with the lastest released in 2004. I do not think you will need to download service packs 1 and 2, as they are probably included in Service Pack 3.
The download is a bit hard to find but it is in the Microsoft Section for Office software.
You will need to download it while using Internet Explorer 6 or 7... not Firefox or Opera.
Then I would upgrade from Internet 6 to Internet 7.
Then I would go to Microsoft Updates, and download all updates again, using Custom... watch the column on the left to select the optional downloads as well by clicking on all the boxes.
If Outlook still doesn't work, go to the manufacturer site for your website, and look for, and install, all drivers issued since the date your computer was made.
You are getting there, slowly though it may seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back