Oh crap? Sygate + Symantec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor587

I went on the Sygate site (I already have the firewall.. just wanted to check it out) and on the top was a huge Symantec banner with "aquired by symantec" underneath it. I was just wondering if this would cause problems with the firewall because a lot of people don't like the huge internet security suite and how they can't even remove the viruses with limited support on the website...

Just wanna know you're thoughts.

indeed. Sygate was aquired by symantec a few months ago.

It remains to be seen whether they'll continue to allow the free SPF download, or even if they'll discontinue SPF alltogether.

one thing is for sure though - if they do keep developing it, it'll turn to a piece of complete and utter crap sooner or later - that's what SYmantec does to anything they aquire. For the time being though it's fine.

I think I only got it 2 months ago... hmm. They do offer the free download, but they highly emphasize the PRO version which probably doesn't offer much more.

I'm also not sure which version I have.. How can I verify this? I'm afraid to upgrade(if I have a lesser version), because you know. Symantec.. I heard it has updates too. Why would a firewall need updates? Thanks.

Even sygate emphasised the pro version. It does have a lot more for those that need it :)

As for updating, well, you can't go on using an old version of the firewall forever - that would defeat the object!

Update it, and if you don't like it, change it altogether. I rather suspect that symantec have either bought out Sygate to 'learn' something, or equally likely is that they just want to wipe out the competition from a far superior product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back