Oh no, My Doom now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Yep, lucky me, I am now told that I have one of the My Doom viruses, yet when Ad Aware & AVG searched, Ad Aware said nothing found, & AVG only found the old faithful Funweb 'A', nothing else.

On Google,I entered "My Doom" & I went to a M/Soft site that advertised "All you want to know about My Doom", it was good, it explained what My Doom did, & classed it as "moderate" then I clicked on the explanation of different levels of risk, which was informative, I then d/loaded a tool to remove My Doom viruses A, B, E,F, G, J, L, or O;ZindosA or Doomjuice A & B, & got "no virus was found".

When I got my new PC, he had installed several "fix virus" icons, among which was one for My Doom, ran that, "The W32 My Doom @ mm has not been found on your computer" by that, I take it that mine is another, probably newer, variant.

I believe I kmow how I got it, through an email, "Delivery reports about your email, the following addresses had permanent fatal errors" then followed my email address, I did NOT, repeat not open the attachment!

Finally, can anyone tell me if this spreads by emailing, it doesn't seem it does, that M/Soft site said it lets things in the the back door, bit like a more active "dropper" ?

Forlornly, Maurice.

I am pretty sure that it came in with the false email, because just after I got the email, a notice came up, I think it was either a M/soft, or a Windows message, it had the familiar warning cross. does this sound genuine, or are the people behind the virus capable of generating a false notice, just to keep me twitchy?, well they've achieved that, whether the virus is genuine or not. Believe me, I might even give up computing, I've had this PC about a fortnight, & this is the second virus [so far].

I'm too long in the tooth to put up with much more, life was a lot simpler, but I WOULD miss emailing friends abroad, etc., so I might just grit my teeth, [those I've got left!] & weather the storm

Maurice.

Pretty sure that is checked, [ticked]...... yes it is, just this minute checked, [ I have quick-start icons in my tray, very handy!]
Guess you read my comments, it really is depressing, but real life is what it's all about, so I shook myself, & thought that there's more important things at my time of life, than computer viruses

The chap who built this PC, said that he would format, or re-format, for free!, not sure which is appropriate, I suppose he means wipe the hard-drive, & install XP etc again, one sure way of getting rid of the viruses!, so I might have that done as a last resort, it also might cure the emailing problem too, about one in three still don't go on time.
Of course that will mean that I'll have to get my techno back again to re set it up, but what the heck!

Maurice.

Before you go out and have someone reformat your hard drive, have you considered hiring a professional to come out and look at your computer for you. Most likely, if you hire the right individual they can fix it without you losing your data on your computer.

In addition, what are you doing on the internet that you are getting all of these viruses/worms/trojans?

Firstly, welcome to this great site, both of you, 14,000 members, & still growing! over the last year, members have helped me MANY times.

Let me tell you a few things about me; I was very late in life getting into computers, at age 72, so I'm not quite up to speed with such things as getting viruses, one I got by an e-mail, supposedly from a friend, but their address was obtained from my address book, & no, I don't know how, but I opened it, & bingo, I got the virus, I am more cautious now, but about a week ago, I tried to d/load Smiley Central, I'd had it before, for around 18 months, no problem then, but I recently got a new rig, & thought I'd get it again, I e-mail a lot of young relatives, & they love all the smilies that I include in my messages.
The long & the short of the matter is that this time I tried to d/load it, I promptly got a Trojan, which is now safely in my AVG vault.
Thanks, Page 2564, great "name"!, Ill try the sites you mention, I have a McAfee Virus Scan 7.0 disc, but haven't installed it, I keep getting mixed advice from this site, some are all for it, others say stick to AVG & the XP firewall, What's the view of you guys?
jkilgore, I hear what you're saying, I am not keen on the re-format idea even if it is offered free, I just don't want to go through all the hassle of setting up again, you might have seen my earlier post of the problems a professional faced, when doing it for me, on my new PC, not least the badly fitted modem, that meant that the phone-line couldn't be plugged in, & he had to get into the case, a thing I wouldn't attempt, if I did the set-up myself.

Well, that's my trials & tribulations, not the best of starts into the world of computers, which I love as I have explained to many, I'm not your typical pensioner, I might be in my 70's but my mind is around 40 years old! I lost my wife to cancer, a while back, I have no family of my own, & computers are an important part of my life.

Maurice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back