TechSpot

Oh, Old members can post here too?!?! :)

By SNGX1275
Apr 26, 2003
  1. After seeing this post: Hi, its me Phantazmm I got to thinking - yes this is mostly for new members but why can't old members re-introduce ourselves. There were some threads where we all did it back in the day but they may have been on the old board.

Anyways here I go:
    Real name is David (go by Dave). I graduate here in a few days (May 2003) from University of Missouri-Rolla with a B.S. in Geology and Geophysics with an Emphasis area of Groundwater and Environmental Geochemistry. I'm currently looking for any type of a job related to that. Since its not looking good for a full time job I have applied (and expect to be accepted) to University of Missouri-Rolla to get a Masters in Engineering Management.
    First expierence with computers was a Commodore 64, I never did anything on it real productive other than playing with the print, poke, and goto commands. Although I did play a lot of games, wore out several joysticks. Next I moved to a Macintosh SE/30 while my dad was working on his Ph.D (thats what the comp was for), then we stuck loyal with Macintosh computers until I came to college (Fall 1998) then I bought my first PC. It was an HP P2 300Mhz (now before I get all the 'boo's it was a really good computer, its now my parents and performs beautifully with win2k on it). Then I built my computer that I have now: see profile for more details but its basically a 1Ghz T-Bird with 512Megs of RAM.
    I like to party a lot, drink a lot of beer - Budweiser almost exclusively unless its free. Poertner_1274 is another moderator here, him and I are both Sigma Nus from UMR. I moved out of our fraternity a year ago (no problems - just had the oppertunity and it was to my benefit). But we are still real good friends and we play soccer together quite a bit (both indoor and outdoor).

2. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

Hi All,

Heh, now I'm really an OLD member (30th HS Reunion coming up). I got into computers in the waning days of room-sized computers and Hollorith cards. I started working for Computerland in 1976 at the dawn of microprocessor, S-100 bus computers and the Apple II. I then went to work on computerized traffic controllers, worked at US Windpower, Northstar Computers and for the last 15 years work for a city maintaining their traffic systems.

I started using the Internet in 1992 but never actually saw a reason to own a home computer till Windows 95 came out. Since then I've built around 25 systems, mostly for other people.

I live in California. I used to backpack, skipack, crawl through caves and climb mountains when I was younger, now I have a family and just go camping. The kids are almost old enough to start backpacking.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.