Ok to use an ATI x1800xt 512mb in an nForce4 Ultra chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be bad to put a x1800xt in an nForce4 Ultra chipset on an Asus board?

I built my system for a 7900GT but the one I bought from BFG was defective and now I want to go with an ATI card because I've read too much about the 7 series having artifacting issues despite good power and cooling.

I know they are compatible but would I run into trouble using this setup? Will I lose alot of performance in not utilizing ATI's own chipset, the xpress 200 (or whatever it's called?). Will I lose certain features? I'm just afraid because obviously nvidia made the nForce platform.

My setup:

64 3800+ x2
Asus A8N-E rev. 2.0
2gb PC3200

the xpress 200 is essentially a video card physically embedded into the motherboard in the small chip form. It is not necessary to have the Xpress 200 to get better performance with an ATI video card since you disable the Xpress 200 chip instructions whenever using an aftermarket video card in the AGP/PCI-E slot. the NForce 4 is just a bridge chip that Nvidia produced. You can use ATI flawlessly with the nForce4 chipset.

I've got the exact same motherboard and a 1900XTX, works great, absolutely no problems using an ATi graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back