TechSpot

Old Hard Drive as 2nd Hard Drive?

By Boogieman
Jan 11, 2008
  1. Is it possible to take a hard drive from a PC running Win98 SE and install it into a PC running XP withoutdoing any harm to the new PC?

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

As a slave drive -not an issue
    As a master drive - it will load new drivers - but that's OK

Also legally the Windows 98 is attached to the computer it came from, but seeming 98 not supported I suppose that doesn't matter now

3. osmgg

osmgg TS Rookie

Error bad fault in Ms- Dos Extender Fault 000d stack Dump

a very old computer is working with processor 266 and Hd of 5 gb

when i install win98 se the hard ont accept and gvives the following error

" bad fault in Ms- Dos Extender Fault 000d stack Dump "

my some one advise me

4. Dave H2

Dave H2 TS Rookie

I want to do something similar. My present computer has a CPU fault, and I have the offer of another one, with more memory and a faster chip, but much smaller HD. I want to take the HD out of this computer and put it in the new one (both are running windows XP), but I have been told that if I keep the HD in the new computer with just the windows on it, and run the new HD as drive D with everything else on it, the machine will run faster and more efficiently. I also intend to transfer the memory stick for an extra 256.

A) Can I do this, and if so how
    B) Is there anything else I might advantageously cannibalise from the old machine.

Thanks

Dave H2

5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

you may be able to use more memory
    post system specs of the 2 machines
    leave the original xp alone if it's booting without errors
    add the other one to the 2nd ide channel as slave check your optical drive
    you may want to set the 2nd HDD to cable select if the optical drive is set for this
    or you cam set the optical to master and set 2nd HDD to slave
    some systems like CS better make sure if using CS that the 2nd drive is in the middle of cable
    I like to keep the optical as master on 2nd IDE
    thats just me
    after you have this setup
    boot to your machine
    don't worry if you can't see the drive
    go to my computer right click this icon go to manage nav down to disk management drive should be there you will need to take possession or ownership of the drive to use it
    [​IMG]
    right click on drive go to properties advanced

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.