Old HDD Backup Files in a new OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opellio88

Hello,

I am wanting to back up everything on my current hard drive, reformat the hard drive, and then install Widows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

I plan on using Acronis True Image 11 Home to do the backup, and my current OS is Windows XP Home Edition. So, my question is, will my backed up files (those in Win XP Home Edition) work with my new OS (Win XP Media Center)?

Also, if you have suggestions on how to do this process better, I am open to suggestions.

Thank You

Backing up a whole hdd is ALWAYS a good idea. Acronis true image (after being installed on the new OS of course), will allow full or selected restore from that image. You could eaither restore the complete drive image to a fresh partition, and set up dual-booting with the new OS, or you could just restore the data. What you CANNOT do, (and I hope you understand this) is restore the currently installed application programmes such that they will run under media edition. They HAVE to be re-installed.

As far as I know, there is no good reason why you could not install media edition as an upgrade over XP-home, when the applications WOULD be picked up and still work. If you want to try this, then continue this thread appealing for advice on any problems involve in that route (personally I would not do it).

In any event whatever you decide to do, DO carry out that drive image first. You realise that has to be to another partition or to removeable media, I suppose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back